1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

winchester western paper hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunt, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt Active Member

Anyone loading these hulls?
  2. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

Yes. I am loading them with Red Dot and WAA12R wads, 1 1/8 oz. shot. Love the load.
  3. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

One of the problems with loading these cases. They have a high paper base wad and after a couple of loadings the base wad closes over the primer and you get a lot of miss fires. Watch them close.

Ajax
  4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I'm on my last 4,000 or so once fired Wnchester/Western Super Target/Super Trap hulls. This shell when new was one of the best pattering softest shooting shotshells ever produced and I wish they were still available.

As mentioned there are issues when reloading this hull. The first is the covering of the primer hole causing hang or misfires, this is normally caused by large diameter depriming rods found on some loaders. The larger depriming rods unless absolutely dead centered will skive the sides of the fiber base wad causing particles to fall over the primer hole blocking the flame to the powder.

The other issue a more serious one is base wad separation whereby the base wad breaks loose from the hull base and lodges in the barrel. The only preventative measure I know of is Taxan's long discontinued electric depriming, resizing, heating element press specifically designed to heat and reconstitute the fiber wad to the hull base.

You can reload and shoot these hulls knowing the base wad is a problem (only if you are shooting a break open gun and are disciplined to look down the barrel for obstructions after each and every shot), if not, don't reload these hulls.

The two powders that seem to work best are Red Dot and Super Target, both require Winchester's red wad or an equivalent clone for 1-1/8 loads.

Surfer
  5. skipsor

skipsor Member

Bwana64, how much Red Dot and which primers are you using?
  6. labels

labels Member

Simply the best target shell ever made, EVER!!!!!!! Hammers targets, soft recoil, & smelled great.....Boy do I miss them. Glad I saved a few.....Pete
  7. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

I am using win 209 primers and 19 grains of Red Dot.
  8. skipsor

skipsor Member

Bwana64, thank you for that info.
  9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

The smell of paper Super Targets in the mornin' is etched in my memory...mmmmmmmmm....
  10. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

Where did you get them??

Ed Yanchok
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.