1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester/western 1577 need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by robertb, Aug 23, 2013.

1. robertb

robertb TS Member

Wincester V1577 automatic trap is breaking 75% of it's targets.The target is bumped out of position(just slightly) by the rubber strip contacting the target as it cocks.The target is correctly positioned by the target elevator before this occurs.The rubber strip(flight rail) has only the most limited adjustment and the carrier itself has no adjustment.The spring loaded white plastic finger is working as it should.This condition is recent and has me baffled as there seems to be no way to adjust it.The machine is probably 40+ years old.any advise would be appreciated.
    Bob

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I dont know that machine but had a similar problem with some beomats we have. Ended up being a mis-alignment for the stop switch on the arm. The arm was just stopping to close to the target bumping it away from the rubber strip and would slap break nearly every target.. Hope that helps.

3. robertb

robertb TS Member

Will check that out

4. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

Was this Machine taken apart for some service ? Did it work correctly befor?
    If the arm jumps just before it gets to the target the machine is out of time and wasn't assembled correctly.The problem is the lower gear case..Were the timing marks lined up when it was assembled..There is no adjustments for the arm.It always stops in the same place..This machine is mechinacal with no electronics The release solonoid is the only electrical part ..

http://www.qualityreplacementparts.com/Manuals/Winchester/V1577Manual.pdf

5. robertb

robertb TS Member

machine was not disassembled.condition seemed to start one evening during shooting

6. robertb

robertb TS Member

7. robertb

robertb TS Member

Dave
    thanks for the offer to help...PM sent
    Bob

8. topgun1

topgun1 TS Member

I believe that your machine has a worn V-10. Quality Replacement Parts probably has a replacement.
    Greg

9. TF

TF Active Member

Check the target feed shelf (v-204-w). Sometimes gets deep enough grooving from the targets or it can become ever so slightly bent or warped. The first time this happened I didn't have a replacement and I got it level enough to work with a mallet and a 2x6. We had a shooter who made one out of carbon fiber thinking it would last longer, but the material didn't stand up to the abrasion of the targets sweeping across it. The part should be available through QRP or Golden West. If you don't have a schematic, they are on line from those suppliers. Even though it's not the latest in design you have a solid serviceable trap machine.

Tom Frazer

10. robertb

robertb TS Member

will check the release sear(V 10)thanks Greg and appreciate the advice regarding the target shelf from Tom.I had a good talk with Dave and now have at least some perspective on this contraption.
    Bob

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I am not sure of geography of all, Rhodeside Inc, Piqua,Ohio. Jim Printz has spent many years fixing & selling these, Whiz White is also quite accomplished.
    I do not know Whiz' address off by heart.
    These two men are professional.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Search tags for this page

timing winchester western trap

western 1577 trap