1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Universal Shells ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Are the shells Walmart sells as Winchester Universal any good ?

2. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

The ones I've seen in the stores are 1-1/8 oz. 3 dram loads. I've shied away from these "heavy" loads because of the excessive recoil, which can cause me to flinch if I'm shooting a lot of rounds. I like the 1 oz. Game Loads that Wally sells a lot better. - JoeBerg

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Doug -

I suppose it depends what you want to do with them. As was said, the 3 dram have recoil and the components are not the best, but depending upon their pricing, they could be a good knock-around shell for one for small upland.

Jay

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i used them alot this season for singles and thought that they were great. in western ny there is an almost 4.00 difference between the univ. and rems. i can't see the difference between the two.

i shot the univ. out of an old broadway and my 682. never noticed recoil being a problem. when i did my part, they crushed the target.

brett d.

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

The hulls load great as well. I use them for my 7/8 oz loads for doubles and singles, one shot and gone. RG

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In Western Canada we shoot a lot of Winchester Super Target shells and they were available in 1145 ft/sec or 2 3/4 dram loads. I say "were available" because word on the street around here is that Winchester will stop making them and only market AA's to us from now on.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They don't seem to eject well in many autoloaders. I don't see that they have any real advantage except cost. They work OK in hinge guns and will break targets and go bang like most other shells. They are a bit different internally from the Winchester AA hulls, but possibly close enough to use some of the same data. I did experiment with a few lower pressure listings and obtained significantly lower velocities with the Universal hull.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

They work just fine. They are just as good as Rem's gun club or Win. super target. or Fed's top guns. All use a metal base except gun club. a discount type powder, and 3 percent antimony type shot. The universal loads, use the most copied wad in the industry. The orginal Win AA wad. I can only find them in a 3 dram load with has a 1200 fps. Good for handicap or singles. Some people like to use a slower and or lighter load. Thats up to you to decide. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

they are great shells i shot my first hundred straight with them in singles they are to light for my handicap i recently started shooting the walmart federals a little better shell i think for doubles i dont have a problem with them where as the winchester they dont cycle through my 1100

10. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

The Universals are fine. The shot runs about a half size smaller than branded. However, they burn dirtier than the Federals at the same price. This may be the reason guys have autoloader problems.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A lot of kids at my club shoot them. I load the hulls once and toss them. They don't complain, and neither do I.

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i reloaded one shell just for the halibut, but i would of had to totally readjust the 366 to make them right. just decided not to bother.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I prefer the Federal and Remington Promo shells to the Winchesters, but never had a problem with them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
universal winchester shotgun shells
winchester universal any good
winchester universal shell any good
winchester universal shells for trap

winchester universal shotshells