1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WINCHESTER TRENCH GUN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dog easy, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Would someone please explain the history and purpose of the Winchester " Trench Gun"? I saw several of them at Cabela's in SD and became interested.

Thanks and shoot safe, John

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Used during WWI to clear enemy trenches. Google "trench gun" and you will get lots of information. Bill Malcolm

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

First trench gun was a model 97 with handguard, bayonet lug, sling and parkerized finish. Saw one hanging in a shop in Ladonnia, MO. complete with scabbard. Didn't have the bucks. Should have taken out a loan.

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Watch out for fakes. Alot of the model 97's are built up riot models. The riot models have a smaller OD on the barrels. The installed bayonet lug has a shim when used on a riot or any other build up model. Also look for the barrel markings. Some of the fakes have been restamped. Be VERY careful when buying.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My M97 was made by Winchester in 1917.

Bought it for $50.00 in 1973.

Over the years, many offers to buy were turned down.

Gave it to my daughter last Christmas.

Curt

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have a good 16 gauge 97 that I could be talked out of.

7. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have a field grade model 97 I inherited from my grandfather. Have had many offers for it but nothing is worth the memory of my grnadfather. I have actually shot a round of trap with it and I didn't miss any more than normal. They are very neat guns, even in field model.

8. DANKIM

DANKIM TS Member

I was issude a mod:12 trench and 100 rounds of 00 buck in Viet Nam, being a
    Airforce Crew Cheif on the F-4 Phantom, they told me thats all I would need if we were over ran, never fired once in 18 months.

9. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

There are a lot of fakes. Must check identifying marks, serial numbers, bayonet lug adapters, even the bayonets. I have one that is 97%. About did have to take out a loan to get it. Paid less for one of my Perazzi.

10. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What part of the forend were you supposed to hold when using the bayonet?

Is that why there was a heat sheild?

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful Model 12 version...still wish it was the 97

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The heat shield is so you don't burn your left hand holding the barrel to reload. I'll bet those you've seen at Gander and other places are the Norinco Chicom copies. They are copying just about every good old gun design, they even have Win 1893 copies. Have heard good and bad about the copies. Not for me I have an original 97, old rusty and cracked stock but it still works like it's supposed to.

13. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Got a box of all brass OO Buck. The all-brass shells were much preferred because they did not swell like the paper shells when wet.

Actually you hold the heat shield and fore stock with your left hand and the pistol grip with your right hand and bayonet the enemy.

That is a 16 inch blade. You can empty the magazine by holding down the trigger and keep pumping. They were affectionately know by our GIs as a "Trench Broom."

Have heard some rumors, that the gun was called a "Trench Rifle" for a while because the Hague Convention didn't like shotguns.

In WWI, The Germans tried to have these deadly guns outlawed. When that didn't work the Germans said that they would execute any GI they captured carrying one. Our Secretary Of State responded that we would execute two of their soldiers for every one of ours they executed.

I guess times have changed with the present administration!

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

Excellent article in the current American Rifleman. Article actually shows more pictures of the Remington Model 10 trench gun, which is more rare. Article tells the history of shotguns in warfare, but not much on the current use. There was much use in Nam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

m97 trench broom parkarized

for sale bayonet lug winchester model 12 trench shotgun