1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester traps...yes or no?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by switznd, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. switznd

switznd TS Member

To all,

I found two old Winchester 1574s at an abandoned range, and I am looking to buy them from the current owner. They were bought new and used by a small rural gun club for approximately 20yrs, and have not been used for 8 years (according to the owner). One was left cocked, the other was released. They were sprayed down with WD-40 at the end of every shooting day during use. They have lots of dirt-dauber nests, and a few vines. No power is available (or release cord), unless I take a generator to test them. The skeet houses are still intact which protected them from rain, but not the humidity here in Alabama. I would love to have these for a personal range or to start a new club in the area. I am slightly familiar with them, because they are what I cut my teeth on in skeet. But, I never had to do any maintenance on the them. I was in the process of buying two of the Do-All electric traps when I stumbled across these, and have halted that. Questions:

Is it worth buying them?

What should I look for on them?

He wants me to make an offer, but I want to be fair. What are they worth?

What else do I need to know about these before I invest?

Thanks in advance,

Nick Switzer

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I've shot over them and they throw good targets. So far as value is concerned, I'd say they have no value whatsoever; because you have no way of knowing if you'll ever get them in working order. If the guy will let you take them away and clean up after yourself, I'd say that's a fair bargain. There is a guy in Ohio, Mark, at Mid-Stat trap range, near Chillicothe, who may be able to help out with information, parts and advice if you end up with them.

best...mike

3. traploader

traploader Member

Western self-loading skeet machines are a durable well-made commercial clay thrower that will last years in a personal skeet range. They throw a great target. Sounds like these will take a little sweat equity but it's worth it in the end. I have parts for these and plenty of good working skeet machines as well. The manual and trouble shooting guide is on my site. Click the link above. Few years back these were selling around $750 each in "as is" condition. Now, folks are buying them for next to nothing. You'll likely need to replace one mainspring, wiring (mouse nest?), escapement cushions and carrier rail. The rubber components get hard or brittle. I have the release cord and four pin plug for power. The release solenoid is powered by 110VAC to fire/uncock the trap. This could be shot. There are two oil seals that could be also worn. One in the bottom by the mainspring. One off the worm thrust drive off the motor near the coupler. Call me if you need any technical advice. As you can see, I customize these automatic clay throwers to hold more than 520 clays with our SkeetLoader SL500 and manufacture a wobble base.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products Tel: 250-216-8937

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They are good machines. Would be good for a personal range.

The motor and transmission run continuously. They must be warmed up for a while if it is cold. Easy to adjust, especially the target height. They will last a long time if you use the correct oil in the transmission (ATF if I remember correctly).

If they were working when shut down I would guess $500 each would be a fair price.

Jim Skeel

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

One of the two clubs that I belong to had two of them. Well used. They traded them in for a new PatTrap. They got I think on trade in $1200.00 each as is. You just might want to see if you can trade them in then try to get them to work. Parts at that time were getting hard to find. The after market parts were not that good.

6. switznd

switznd TS Member

Thanks for all of the advice! TTT

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Parts should be easy to find on this forum, just ask. I know we've got a pile of WW sea anchors laying around.

8. switznd

switznd TS Member

Traploader, pm sent.

Thanks again to all for the comments!

Nick

9. traploader

traploader Member

I posted a picture of a modified Western skeet machine above and received questions about converting these to 12 volt. This machine runs on 12VDC with a 1500 watt inverter and a deep cycle battery with a high amp hour rating. This is the best way I've found to convert 110VAC to 12VDC.

Westerns are built to run continuously on 110 VAC. Sporting machines are generally 12VDC. I thought about building a 12VDC conversion using a starter motor but by the time you add up the switch, 12vdc release solenoid, motor bracket, starter motor etc things get expensive. I'd be interested in what others may have come up with. Send me an email as I don't want to hijack this post. Thanks, Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products Ltd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.