1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Sx'1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sx1skeet, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Winchester Sx

Ok guy's you want this as much as I do. Me and my wife have took on a task of writing a book on the Semi-Auto Winchester Shotguns. So I need help I want this to be as much fact as possible. So what I need is any Sx1 owner to please send me Ser #’s and pic if you can and what it is stage 1 trigger or stage 3 screw in the rib no screw in the rib and for the late guns engraved or not crome tube or not. I would like to get this as right as possible. I will let every on hear know when the book is done. Thanks superxjeff for your last help.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I supplied all that info in your previous post. Wayne

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Use complete sentences and spell check and I'll buy the book, but I can't get much from your posts so far. I would like to learn about the Super X Model 1.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Super X model 1 was a gun that came out in the 70's and was basically a flop. It was supposed to have the handling and pointing characteristics of a Model 12, but it didn't. It was heavy and "clunky," and expensive to boot. The Remington 1100 was the popular gun of that era, and the Super X-1 didn't change that. It has been argued that the price was all the discouraged people from buying it, but price didn't seem to discourage acceptance of the Perazzi's that were becoming popular right about the same time.

Now, 35 years later, among a relatively small cult, it's the greatest gun ever made. However, it's really more of a religeous artifact, as few people are actually shooting them.

You have my permission to include the above narrative in your book.

5. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

It is funny how some times you ask for help and the next time you get guy that just want to be rude. Now thanks to you guy that have emailed me with your info. We have put alot of time into this and agian I will let you know when it is done.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

Dickgtax, comparing sales to that of the Perazzi is silly, two completely different animals or Guns....

The complaints on the SX1 were weight and cost and thats it....

The gun was primarily aimed at the Hunting crowd and it did sell well there but cost kept it apart from the Remingtons which were almost $200 bucks cheaper... for the times that was a lot of money.

It did have the handeling charachteristics of the Model 12 which it was fashioned after but that can always be a matter of opinion.

The SX1's real "Claim to Fame" is that it was manufactured from 100% quality materials, including all machined steel parts with and including the receiver.

Winchester lost its butt on the SX1 and wisely discontinued its production in favor of mass production methods., no more expensive hand made/fitted SX1's.

The gun has only a cult following these days, mostly Sporting Clays types...

My 2c worth anyway....

regards

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When I was comparing it to Perazzi's I meant that skeet and trap shooters were
    willing to spend that kind of money for a target gun, and would have happily spent what the Super X-1 cost for an automatic. I have no disagreement with what you've said about the quality, and probably it was overkill for a hunter's gun.

I was there when Ron Petty, the Winchester rep brought the gun to our club. Around 1975, I think. Some of the best skeet shooters in the country shot at our club. They mostly shot 1100's in the 12 gauge, and nobody changed. Except Ron Petty shot one and he was one of the best skeet shooters around.

I didn't mean to be rude. It was just a little tongue-in-cheek because some
    Super X-1 shooters are a little over the top in their praise of the gun. BTW I shoot a lot of sporting clays, and few shooter use one there either. Steve Fischer used to, and I shot with Bob Baumgart before he tragically passed away.

8. finger

finger TS Member

Over the years I have owned as many as 20 SX-1's at any one time. Currently there are only 7 in the stable. One of those 7 is new in the box, never assembled. The parts do match the codes on the box and I bought it as new in the box but cannot guarantee that is how it left the factory. The rest have had parts and barrel swaps throughout their life with me. I have no way of knowing what was original to which gun, from barrels to wood to firing assemblies to mag caps etc etc etc.

Your book could be interesting but by surveying owners it may not be a factual representation. Unless you can insure that what is reported to you is as it left the factory your facts will be mixed up. The factory history, as it is known, has already been written.

An old Remington friend told me the story once about him attending a meeting where the engineers at Remington reported on their analysis of the new SX-1. To a man they praised the gun. When asked how much it would cost to make one they reported it would be significantly more than the 1100 which immediately removed any fear of competition from the big boys at Remington. The rest as they say is history. Hunters don't want the best gun. They want what feels good and works for a reasonable price. That's why Remington has sold millions of 1100's but only about 80,000 SX-1's. Winchester lost money on each and every one they made. People just did not want to pay for quality. Today we appreciate quality more, at least some of us do. bob finger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington 1100 vs winchester sx1
sx-1 winchester skeet
sx-1 winchester sporting clays

winchester guns ronald petty

winchester sx-1 vs remington 1100

winchester sx1

winchester sx1 vs remington 1100