1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester SX1 screw in choke modification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SARGE75X, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I bought a very nice used SX1 and I bought a new 30"IM barrel from NuLine guns to go with it. I took it to the club and ran a hundred shells thru it and decided the fixed IM choke was too tight for my taste and after a discussion with Stu Wright I decided to send it to him for screw in chokes. Well I sent the barrel and then I get a call stating my Visa was charged $455.00 for the job. I'm like "WHAT" $455.00, the website says $245.00 with my choice of 3 tubes and $60.00 for lengthening the forcing cone. So with shipping I had figured $325.00 or so, heck the new barrel was $275.00 from NuLine. So I called down Saturday AM the lady I talked to said I was billed an extra $125.00 for rebluing and resoldering the rib. I thought maybe they had my barrel confused with someone else's barrel. Well no, I just talked to Stu Wright and he said this has to be done to prevent the barrel from splitting. At no time did anybody ever tell me anything about this, I got a note from SuperX Jeff who sent his Barrel to Briley and that they dont do this. Anyways I told Stu Wright that it should be noted on his web site that certain barrels require more work instead of just doing something I knew nothing about and then billing me $125.00. Had I know that, I would have sent it to Briley or Carlsons for the work or not done it at all. I'm not happy and I won't be sending them any more work or referring them to anybody I shoot with.

-Bill Sanders

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

HI Bill - I have had two SX-1 barrels thin wall choked by Briley...$275 and they definitely did not need the rib resoldered and the barrel reblued...and no...the barrels have not split.

The bluing on these guns, to my eye, were done very well and would certainly not want this kind of after market work done on them.

Stephen

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I've had two Super-X barrels done by Briley and have never even heard of this. I have never had a problem, but maybe Wright's has.

I don't like hidden costs, I never did that in my 45 plus years as a self employed swimming pool contractor. Full discloser at the beginning would have prevented your bad feelings and your spreading of this to everyone. Wright's has a good reputation but this doesn't do it any good.

It's hard for me to understand why you thought a improved modified choke was to tight for trap. I used a .032 Seitz fixed full choke in my Super-X and used it in all events, including doubles. I am #50 on the grand slam list with that combination.

Tom Strunk

4. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Its not too tight from the 27 but for me from the 16 it's like throwing hardballs. If I'm on them its a ink spot but I'm not always on them, I need a little more room for error.

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

BTW I got a note from Wright's they are refunding the cost of blueing and soldering.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've had 2 Sup X-1 barrels done by Briley w/o soldering. No problems. Was your's a riveted rib by chance? Threading for chokes could jeopardize the rib attachment rivet if that was the case?

Good to see Stu Wright made it right with you on the cost. Good for them. I've heard only good things about them.

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Must be a Type 1 barrel......that's why he silver soldered the rib......and then it HAS to be reblued. Type 1 barrels have a screw in front of the front bead that secures the floating rib. The rib has to be silver soldered or cross pinned because the screws are noted for coming loose and shearing, letting the rib come off the barrel. Threading the barrel further weakens the screw and pretty much guarantees problems. Type 3 barrels have soldered ribs from the factory and pose no such problems. Stu takes very few of the calls that come in to the shop. I'm sure when he saw the barrel he just summarily fixed it the right way without knowing whether you had been told about the procedure or not. The refund shows he's giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Ken Rucker

8. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Wrights does this to all SX-1 barrels.. Screw or not. It is to keep the rib from coming loose, has nothing to do with barrel splitting. Been there, done that. Stu Wright does outstanding work.

Dan

9. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Well, Mike Orlen did a newer (no screw) field barrel for me and pinned it and included 4 bore-matched screw ins for a lot less money! His work is excellent and VERY REASONABLE!

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

It was a Brand New IM barrel from NuLine and wasnt a screw type barrel. And yes he said he would made it right about the $130.00 but wasnt very nice about it. Briley told me yesterday that if done correctly, soldering and rebluing wasnt necessary.

11. Stuart

Stuart Member

We install chokes in Super X barrels about 6-10 times a week. In addition we repaip about 3-4 barrels a month where the muzzel post has ripped out of the barrel. I don't give a shit how Briley or anybody else installs choke tubes. If you send it here I will Silver Solder the rib to the barrel schrowd. If you don't like that then send it to farmer joe's and let him stand behind his work.
    I know for a fact that other people lead solder, which does not require blueing,the rib and or pin it, but we repair to many of them to consider that style.
    This guy has been a Jerk from the beginning, playing around with different CC's and Closing accounts and having to get charges done before doing the work. I don't play these games. His account has been credited for the full amount and he will be required to send Certified Funds before his barrel is shipped. You screw with the bull you get the horn.
    Stuart

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

thank you for a colorful explanation Stu!

13. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

That doesn't sound at all like Bill to me. I speak with him on a regular basis recently bought a Browning XT from him and he was a pleasure to deal with. A real stand up guy. Definitely not the type to play games and screw with people.

I'm obviously an outsider looking in on this, but it seems to me that all fees should be fully disclosed before any work begins. If there is a possibility that additional costs will be incurred, they should be described before, as opposed to after. If they are not disclosed beforehand and added on afterwards, this makes the person doing the work look like a crook. And holding his barrel hostage for a certified check is definitely not helping the case.

Now I have never met Stuart and thus cant make a judgment as to his character, I am siding with Bill on this one

14. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I copyed and pasted this directly off of Wrights web site :Winchester Super X 1

Solder rib to barrel, Blue assembly (required for installation of chokes to Winchester Super X 1 barrels)
    $120.00
    I think that pretty much says it all !!!!!!!!

I have been doing business with Wright's for a long time and will continue to do so and send a blank check with every job that I send there.
    Jeff Prigge

15. Superxmike

Superxmike TS Member

I had a dealing with Wright's on a Super X-1 barrel a few years ago. It was not a pleasant experience. I ended up going with Briley and the barrel work was excellent, including the pinning of the rib to the post. I have shot thousands of rounds through this barrel and not one problem.

Mike

16. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

the vultures have landed***** how much for the barrel now? LOL 4andy10

17. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

1. I never changed any credit card numbers, all I asked was for you to charge my card as soon as possible so that I could close that particular account.

2. Yes Mr Prigge it is posted on Mr Wrights web site about the soldering and rebluing of SX1 barrels,however you forgot to mention that it is listed on a completely seperate page from the page concerning choke tube installation. I'm glad you can send a "blank" check when you have work done, the rest of us mere mortals don't have a bottomless savings account.

3. Your graphic use of the English language both here and in your emails reflects your culture Mr Wright.

The Jerk aka Bill "Sarge" Sanders

18. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Sarge75X

When you get your barrel back from Stu,take out the choke tube. Notice how thin the barrel is. That is why Stu silver solders the barrel. That way you won't have any problems with the rib coming loose. I had a sx1 barrel that briley installed there chokes in it. It was on a used gun that I brought and after 200 or so rounds from me,the rib said i've had enought of this so i'm going to move out of here! Stu fixed it and now it stays put.

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This is unfortunate. Stu has a very good reputation and Sarge is probably a good person. I hope this thread does not deter anyone from using Wrights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
did winchester super x 1 ever come with screw in chokes
screw in chokes for super x 1
winchester superx1 pin in rib on barrel
winchester sx1

winchester sx1 barrel

winchester sx1 barrel work
winchester sx1 choke tube

winchester sx1 type1