1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester SX Model 1 Barrel, 30" Full Trap Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kgb, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgb

kgb Member

Winchester SX Model 1 Barrel, 30

As long as I'm clearing out my spare stock, here's a spare barrel that I haven't been using. This one has a .733" bore and .039" of choke. I used to use it for doubles since I'm pretty slow on the second bird (it would be dropping as I shot.) Barrel is in excellent condition, white front and silver middle beads, no screw in the rib.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$250 shipped in continental US.

Kirk

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Check your email or PM. I'd be happy to take it. Thanks, Bob

3. kgb

kgb Member

Sale Pending

Also, anyone familiar with these barrels, can you answer a question I've always had? The barrel I use now is a 30" IM Trap Choke and I've compared it to the Full Trap barrel plus others that don't have Trap marked next to the chokes. The rib looks to be the same width, but it seems to run a little higher above the barrel than the Mod and IC barrels I've seen, measured at the mid point. Don't know if this is for Trap shooting to make it impact higher, or if all 30" barrels have the rib run a little higher due to length over the 28's and 26's. Anyone know for sure?

Kirk

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My experience is only anecdotal but SX-1 trap barrels pattern higher for me than the field barrels, as much as 18 inches @ 21 yards in one case.

5. sx1

sx1 Member

There are at least 4 different rib heights for sx-1 barrels. The ones marked trap are higher. I have measured 4 different heights, there may be more.

Norm

6. kgb

kgb Member

I thought there was a difference, and had contacted Bob Baumgart about it when I bought my Super-X.

The dealer I got the gun from had told me he didn't know which barrel he had on the gun but it was either a new one or a nearly new one, same price so we made the deal. He sent a regular vent 30" Full barrel on the gun and when I got it I told him it wasn't a Trap barrel. Turned out the "NIB" barrel he had was Trap Full and I could have it if I sent back the one on the gun, paid for all shipping and threw in $20 since the Trap barrel was unfired. This despite the fact the original order was for the gun with "either barrel, doesn't matter". Told me I was "misinformed" about Trap barrels, that he had a guy who swore there was no difference in the barrels, didn't care what any other expert said, his guy knew his stuff.

That was my last dealing with Chris Hyde, except for seeing what he'd offer on a gorgeous forearm for an A-5 20ga. $10.

Kirk

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Best way I've found to measure them, is go to the 4th standard from the receiver end. Measure them any way you want, just don't compress the floating rib against the standard and not do it on another barrel. Measuring between the barrel and rib is the best, just don't push the rib up while doing so.

There's been many lengths/heights of standards used, and they definitely got taller as the years went by.

A very early trap barrel, has about the same POI (rib height) of a very late field barrel. So someone just grabbing two barrels, one a trap and the other a field and them being from different eras, doesn't tell the whole story.

Take an early trap and a late, lay them side by side, there's so much difference you can eyeball it----don't even have to measure. But don't believe that "only" .030" in rib height, can't make any difference!!

But to answer the question directly, yes of course, regarding same era barrels, there's most definitely a difference in rib heights between a field and trap.

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Good SX1 information. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
chris hyde shotgun barrels
full choke barrel for winchester sx-1
full trap choke barrel
winchester sx i barrels
winchester sx mod 1