1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester SX-1 trap ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by toad67, Jun 18, 2013.

1. toad67

toad67 Member

Recently purchased a SX-1 trap that was described as NIB. Serial # is in the 87K range with serial # on matching box. Looked at gun and it appeared that it was as described with no marks from assembly, what appeared to be factory grease on barrel and gas system o-rings, etc.

Gun has a gold trigger and no scrolling so everything seems to be okay. My question is that the barrel is stamped "full choke" rather than "full trap choke". I've heard that these were basically a clean up run so is it possible that this is the correct barrel? I got it at a price that really doesn't make much of a difference but am curious. Thanks in advance.

T67

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

The ones with no roll scrolling on the receiver were field guns. So the barrel would probably just say full instead of full trap. The trap guns generally had very nice wood, the others, not so much. Still a good gun though. Have the buffer replaced as it is pretty old now and will fail because of being brittle sooner or later. John

3. toad67

toad67 Member

The wood is trap wood with it being a M/C stock, "W" checkering by the receiver and matching forend. The box also says "MC Trap stock". The very last trap guns out had gold triggers and no scroll. Just trying to clarify the barrel issue but I think it is good to go.

T67

4. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

Your s/n means it was made at the very end of production when they were substituting "what they had" in place of "what was supposed to that they did not have." Hence you got a gold trigger that was supposed to have been only for specialty runs like the Mississippi Flyway, a plain receiver when it was supposed to have been engraved, and a field-grade (Full Choke) barrel when it should have been a Full Trap Choke.

The Trap barrels, I have heard, usually have an extra .001 or .002 of constriction compared to the Field Full Choke barrels, not enough to make any significant difference. I have patterned both and could see little if any difference in the patterns. The ribs on the Trap barrels are just a bit higher, and shoot just a bit higher. If you want one I have a near new condition Full Trap Choke (Trap) 30" barrel I would trade for a same condition Full Choke (Field) 30" barrel.

Either way you will need to put in a new bolt buffer, as the old ones have become fragile with age, irrespective of use. You will also want to replace the factory aluminum bolt link follower with a steel one from Wright's or Nuline.

5. APrice

APrice Active Member

Couple of corrections to the above: There are many SX-1 Skeet and Trap guns with gold triggers by design, not that were "supposed to be only for special runs." Also, The factory follower will usually last a VERY long time and there is no need to replace unless it breaks or ovals excessively.

6. lwr_

lwr_ Member

You have one of the late model XTR Super X 1s that did not have the scroll work on the side. It is a Trap gun, not all Trap grades were shipped with the Full Trap barrel. Don't let anyone convince you it is an altered field grade, they do not know what they are talking about.

Many think the late XTR grade trap guns are more desirable because of the lack of scroll work. Also, the wood is usually figured better on the XTR models. And, got to love that gold trigger.

I have one NIB that I bought at the JCPennys in Columbus Ms way back in 1982. Has never been assembled. Just sits there snug in the wax paper wrapping inside its box.

7. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Agree with APRICE about not needing to replace the aluminum return spring follower unless it is completely shot. Even then, if not completely shot, you can just remove and turn it 180 degrees and reinstall it.

I've put the Wrights steel return follower in a couple of my SX-1's and found no real benefit. Others here, I'm sure, will strongly disagree.

Also agree with SKEET2DAY; DO replace the bolt buffer ASAP.

Harry Dinwiddie

8. toad67

toad67 Member

Thanks for the answers guys I appreciate them. I've also heard that the later guns were made and were planned for Europe which is why the wood was so much nicer. Any thoughts on that subject?

T67

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What your old buffer will look like if you shoot it,

What a new improved buffer looks like.

[​IMG]

10. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Later guns planned for Europe? Nope, never, ever heard that one.

Wonder why the Europeans would rate getting better wood than us low-life Americans?

Harry D.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I know asuch as anybody and more then most about the sx-1 and all it's versions. The made for the European market is a new twist!

Your gun is an end of the model gun and was indeed made with the wrong parts but that does not matter. The trap full choke barrels were often not any tighter then the field models. Some guys like the end of the run models as they did have (In general) better wood and the gold trigger.

If you want to have any after market engraving done, the plain receiver provides a nice canvas!Jeff

12. BigM-Perazzi

I seem to remember the late Bob Baumgart telling me that he had a line on some nice factory Winchester wood in Europe. Maybe that was misinterpreted by some.

13. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Nope, not special European models.

I have parted out several Super X 1s. I can always sell the non-scrolled receivers for more than the scrolled ones. As SuperXJeff states, the non-scrolled receivers are best for custom engraving.

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Beg to disagree. I don't buy into the non-scrolled receivers being more desirable. Sure, if one wants to do "custom engraving" they are more desirable. But, the average person does not do "custom engraving."

In my many conversations and e-mails with Bob, he always mentioned the Olin period X-1s were the best put together guns on average.....

Unless one wants to relive the "disco" period, gold trigger guns are for Travolta.....(the late guns were slapped together with left over parts!)

15. BigM-Perazzi

pimp gun by Bob B.

[​IMG]

And a nod to a great engraver, Bill Mains.

[​IMG]

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would be happy with the plain receiver over a rolled engraving like Jeff said better for engraving and a cleaner looking gun if not. IMHO only

17. JH

JH Well-Known Member

To each his own.....but, I much rather have beautiful wood than beautiful engraving......

Search tags for this page
how much is a winchester sx1 worth
replace buffer on a winchester sx1
what is a winchester sx1 trap gun worth
winchester model sx-1 trap
winchester sx 1 complete bolt return spring assembly

winchester sx-1 trap

winchester sx1 trap
winchester x trap