Trapshooters Forum banner

Winchester Super X Model 1 Trap

12K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  BigM-Perazzi 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a Winchester Super X Model 1 30" Trap Gun. Were the Super X Model 1's a pretty reliable automatic?

#2 ·
Chris..... You gotta be kidding? The SX-1 is the best automatic trap gun ever made, period! All other automatics could only wish they were as good.... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#5 ·
They work great and parts are readily available
from Nuline guns and Wrights guns if needed so don't worry about not being able to get parts for it.I use mine for trap and pheasant hunting and run many different loads and have no problems.Solid gun,no question about it.

http://www.nulineguns.com/category_part_41_3_31_41.php

http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/Parts%20&%20Gun%20Sales.htm

#7 ·
SUPER X RELIABLE? Have had one for 20 yr. but put it away for the last 10 yr. Pulled it out a few months ago and realized I had misplaced the shell catcher but decided to try a round of trap anyway. It shot the empties out about 10ft and knew I was pushing friendship to the limit as empties flew. But, I also knew I had the answer, since I had read a thread on TS.com as to how to remove a few parts and disable the gas operation. I set about doing this knowing I could now shoot another round no problem. NOW, IT ONLY SHOT THE EMPTY ABOUT 8 FT!!! Finally I broke down and got a shell catcher at the local gun shop. Yeah, I did put the parts back in but as for RELIABLE?? I couldn't get it to fail to eject when I really tried!.......BUD

#11 ·
Just took mine out of the safe on Sunday for the first time in a year. Shot two rounds of skeet with 1 ounce loads, no problem. I put a new Wrights recoil spring and buffer in it a couple of years ago, and would suggest any one do that if not already done.

Wayne

#14 ·
I shot one for quite a while back in the 80's and sometimes a little later. It's still in my safe and it feels so fine when I pick it up. I have shot a lot of shotguns over my 35 year career, and I will tell you it was stone reliable.

I have shot a 700 round doubles marathon with this gun with no jams or failure to fire the second shot. I also built another one to compete in sporting clays, where shooting twice is common. Never recall any feeding problems with this gun either.

In 85 I ran the 200 singles at the California State shoot, then another 200 that evening, just wiped it off and brushed the gas cylinder, cleaned the gas rings with steel wool and went out and ran the 100 in doubles the next morning. Later that evening I hit 124 to lose the singles shootoff. Then just quickly wiped it off as they were waiting for me for the doubles shootoff. Went 118 in the shootoff to lose that too. But again no failure to feed the second shell.

Buy the gun, get Nu-Lines anti-rust gas system, and have the trigger tuned to take out as much creep as you can, replace the buffer with a new one and probably a new return spring, and buy the shell deflector that Winchester made ( I believe Nu-Line has those to ) and you are good to go. The only thing I ever broke was a firing pin spring, you might want to replace that to.

Tom Strunk

#17 ·
I also remember a number of years ago when Pete McCall had the high doubles average for the year with his. I tied for our state handicap championship with mine and wished now I had never gotten rid of it. Wish I knew what choke Pete had in his, just curious. I think he did better with that old Super-X of his then the Kolar he went to.

#18 ·
michmoe, I think you'd find it was full. Years ago-early eighties-Winchester sponsored a marathon, 4,000 singles each if I remember correctly, at Singletary R&G in MA. Two 3 man squads, one of left handed shooters and one of right. Pete shot in that and was barely edged out by Bill Anzaldi for the high average for the day. Winchester had a poster made of the pile of shells and the shooters pictures for promotion of the guns reliability. That was a fun day with narry a hick-up for any of the shooters. Pete could shoot anything you put in his hands extremely well, a great talent in his prime.

#22 ·
Michmoe. I used to shoot the KY State Shoot with Pete and Nora and others, on occasion. I was on the squad behind him one day where he started out in the dubs with the SuperX1. It quit cycling on the first box and he had to change guns.

That's just the part that applies to MY opinion ... but ... here is the rest of the story.

Pete was shooting the SuperX1 with the release trigger in it. When he changed guns to prevent from losing targets he went with his prototype Kolar OU with the release triggers in it. It worked for the rest of the first trap and most of the way through the third when it started to "pull through". He went back to the truck and put in the pull trigger and finished the event.

I don't know how he did it but he ran the 100 and won the event. A Great shooter, he.

#24 ·
Barry...I guess I'll just have to learn the hard way. When I was shooting my Super-x in doubles I was a AA doubles shooter. Since going to the Perazzi I shoot now I'm struggling to stay in class A. However, at about the same time I switched to the Perazzi I also had to go to shooting a release trigger. So I don't know if the problem is the gun or not fully adjusting to the double release for doubles. I'm waiting for a Super-X to come that I bought from a fellow here on Trapshooters and will try a Hoblit release in it borrowed from a friend. If my memory serves me right Nora had once told me a while back that Pete's Super-X got burned up in a fire. Thanks for sharing that experience though. Pete was one helluva shooter ! I might regret this effort, but at least I have an excuse to buy another gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.