1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super X Model 1 Pigeon Grade

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chuckles, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckles

chuckles Member

Just saw this listed this morning on GunBroker.com... for the SX1 fans out there. 95724037 Winchester Super X Model 1 Pigeon Grade 5 ....

A little over the top for pricing....

Regards

2. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Agree-

They are only worth what someone will pay... It will be interesting to see if they sell for the asking price. I am sure they are using the Victoria Sports guns for comp's... In any case they are nice to look at. By the way, they are in line with the 48/78 production numbers... However the Pigeon looks to be SXP00051. Interesting...

Bob once told me that there was no telling what came out of the Custom Shop...

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

What should be the asking price? Do they really sell for substantailly more than a comparable (wood and engraving) Model 12?

4. Alpha_Three_Niner

Good question Hitapair.

There were only 139 of the pigeon / super pigeon guns produced. 140 if you include the documented prototype. My best guess is that only 91,589 SX-1s were produced. With 139 being being high grade. Compare that to the production numbers for the Model 12... which I have no knowledge.

The good thing is that if these do move, it could flush out a few more of the high grades that have been stashed away. At any rate, the price of poker for SX-1 factory pigeon grades will more than likely go up. On the other hand,,, who knows?

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

HI guys - WOW :shock: ...I sure hope that's the going price for a Pigeon grade....I would be richer by a good bit if true!! :lol:

The level of engraving on the receiver looks like my factory Pigeon grade...factory engraved, rare as there were only 48 or so made, but no great shakes in the engraving department....that is, it's still factory engraving to a modest price point.

As most who like this gun know, they didn't serialize the barrels nor did they offer B grade engraving on SX-1s (nice wood though). Either someone had one and went back to the custom shop to get more dodad's and extra barrels put on it, or they ordered its as a three barrel set with all the extras (I don't know, but I am favoring the former as more probable).

I may be wrong, but to me it looks like a Pigeon with custom after purchase work done on it. Personally, and everybody has their own valid tastes, putting gold inlays in the PG and end cap with the main engraving being the basic factory 12-5...well, it just doesn't seem balanced or coherent to me.

The price, however, is wild.

6. hairy

hairy TS Member

The seller of the Super X Pigeon has many other auctions going also. Search by seller name. A Model 21 3 barrel set.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This Momma Wolf character has no conception of values of sx-1 stuff. He had a Sx-1 shield gun rack for sale( Still does I think) on E-bay. His opening bid is 350 dollars which ia about 10 times what they normally bring so this gun is in line with how the guys prices stuff. I think he finds a valid price and then just uses a factor of 10X as a starting point. I told him I would sell him all the shields I had for 125.00 each and yet he didn't offer to buy any! I e-mailed the guy and he told me that 350.00 bucks is what the shields bring at the gun shows. I think he has been smoking too much crack. I sold my Super pigeon for 5500 a few years ago. I could not get 6,000 for it. I saw Bob list them at 9 and 10,000 but he never got it. He just cut deals with guys off Gunbroker and closed the auctions. 4,000 for a pigeon and 6000 to 8500 for a Superpigeon would be top money as far as I am concerned. Jeff

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

That's ok, Jeff...he wants $50K start of bidding for his Mod 21 barrel set...I don't think so LOL.

9. chuckles

chuckles Member

Bob Baumgart offered me a Super Pigeon and a Pigeon as a pair for $9000.00 total about 3 years ago, they had some mileage on them & I passed on that deal...
    in retrospect I probably should have bought them....

but $21000 is way over the top.....I would put the gun at $4000 tops...

regards

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I like the SX 1 but to me I'd rather put the money into a factory engraved M12.
    Each to his own!!

11. Alpha_Three_Niner

Hitapair-
    Today is your lucky day!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=95727211

Kusmit engraved... unfired...

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Alpha, Thanks for posting the info. I'll check it out.

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Checked it out. It may be "new" but someone has been working the action as the jeweling shows wear. Must have been Grampa! W/ that starting price, he'll own it for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
high grade winchester super x model 1
peigdon grade sx-1
winchester mod super x trap grade
winchester super x 1 engraving patterns
winchester super x 1 pigon grade
winchester super x 1 pigon grade for sale
winchester super x 1 super pigeon

winchester super x pigeon grade