1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super X 3 Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sjmercer1, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjmercer1

sjmercer1 TS Member

My soon to be 15 year old son is wanting his own 12 gauge shotgun for hunting and shooting trap, more so hunting. He is really thinking he likes the new Winchester SX3 28" barrel 31/2" shell capability. Has anyone had any problems with this shotgun? Would you recommend it? Better choices?
    He currently is shooting a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge with a 30" full choke barrel for his trapshooting. He will be participating in high school trapshooting this coming spring. He's averaging 23 out of 25 at 16 yds. He seems to be doing well but we are both pretty new at this sport.
    Thanks for all your imput, I read this website everyday and have really learned alot about the sport.
    Thanks again,
    Steve M.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Let him shoot the 870 for Singles & Handicap Trap as it is one of the better guns at those disciplines for the price. I have a SuperX2 30" Sporting that is versatile enough for everything, and I highly recommend it if only one gun is wanted. Better to find an O/U as it it better suited for Double Trap, and works great for most target and hunting disciplines. You have the option of two different chokes instead of only one.

AndyH

3. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

I have an X3 and while I love the gun I don't think it would be a wise choice for target shooting. I shoot a little sporting clays with it but to try and shoot a 200 target event would not be too much fun with this gun under 7 pounds. I would maybe look for an 870 trap gun and maybe an 1100 or another cheaper used auto for hunting purposes.

Don't get the wrong impression on the Super X3 though it has been 100% reliable in the field and not many jams on the sporting clays field. I went a decent stretch of shooting 800 rounds without a cleaning and never had any hiccups I just finally decided to clean it before I started having problems.

4. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I HAD one the SC model. Nothing but problems getting it to cycle.

5. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Steve, I've been shooting an X3 (28" 3 1/2" camo) this year. I love the gun, it handles well and has never failed to cycle even shooting 1 1/8 oz trap loads. It's been used as an (emergency)canoe paddle and walking staf and all the rain and mud in the duck swamps of Maryland with out a hic-up.
    One thing, at the trap/skeet club I cut a 1" wide section out of a bike inner tube and slipped it over the reciver behind the bolt to keep from throwing the empty hull at the guy next to me. Good gun.

Cheers,

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester sx3 good or bad