1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super X-1 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biercart, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biercart

biercart Member

Has anyone ever had a stock made for a Super x that had palm swells built into the grip, any sugestions for a stockmaker would be appreciated or does anyone have a stock like this that they are willing to sell, I need the dimmensions to be the same as the field stocks, I do not know the exact dimmensions just need a fair amount of drop so no trap stocks, thanks to all that respond.

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had a custom stock made for a custom SX-1 but I would not suggest the stock maker and eventually I kind of fired him over the oil finish and some other issues and had a couple of guys finish the job.

As for dimensions for a field stock which you said fitted you, per the catalog the field stock has a 14 1/4" LOP, 1 1/2" drop at comb,and 2 1/2" drop at heel.

Personally, for what you want, I would just go to Wenig, they have SX-1 stocks already programed into their CNC routing machines. You could tell them you want a palm swell and what drop at comb you want (they probably already know the field stock dimensions but I have included them for you) but there is no such thing as a cheap custom made stock.

Much cheaper to just buy a field stock and paste a palm swell on it.

http://www.wenig.com/

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/hand-eez.php

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I had one built in the early 80's by Anton. His son in law(I think) is still running the business, and does a very good job. His name is Paul Hilmer in Hudson, Iowa. The phone number I have for him is 319-988-3941.

He has built other stocks for me, my son, and a lot of friends. I currently use a ProSoft stock on my trap special built by Phil Simms in Glade Park,Colorado. I'm sure he could build you anything you want.

Tom Strunk

4. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

I had a palm swell done by Mark Dupree on an 1100 Rem Outstanding!!! every diamond matched perfectly. I have known him to do other palm swells ,
    also adj combs, he did one for me again outstanding!! and I'm Picky!! he should have a web site check and see if not I'll get you address, I'm sure there are others on this site that have used him or are aware.

Kevin

5. SX-1 Man Bud

SX-1 Man Bud Member

I think I might have what your looking for. I have a Super X-1 stock that was made with a right hand palm swell that I will sell. I'm not sure how close the dimentions are to a field stock but I think you could make it work. Email me
    if your interested. Bud

6. biercart

biercart Member

Bud, you have an email.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have a Dennis Devault stock for my Sx-1 that is built just like his 390/391 conversion stocks. Adjustable comb and right hand plamn swell. If you want a really nice stock you can't go wrong. Have him build you one. If you live close to him he will personally fit you. As you would expect, it isn't cheap but good things normally are not. Jeff

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Jeff, could you post a picture of your sx-1. Thanks Ken

9. biercart

biercart Member

Thanks all for the helpful advise, that is what I like about this forum you can always count on getting help with questions and getting good results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.