1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super X-1 high volume bird shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I'm thinking about jumping onto the Super X-1 bandwagon and picking up a LNIB Super X-1 field grade. I do mostly high volume bird tower shoots and was wondering how this particular model holds up to high volume shooting, a la Argentina style. Has anyone taken these guns down to South America and done some serious high volume shooting with it? Any issues or regrets doing so? Let's assume the gun has the Wrights "Tune-up" kit installed (e.g. upgraded bolt buffer, stainless steel mag tub, etc.)

My other question is: what is the actual choke constriction of the "Trap Full" barrels compared to the "Full" constriction on the regular field barrels?

Thanks.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have 2 trap full barrels ... I just checked them and they measure .733 and .734 bores with a .038 constriction and .040 constriction respectively. Sorry, but I can't answer your other questions. Bill Malcolm

3. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

The SX-1 is a very tough and strong gun, and will take a serious amount of shooting without problems, but the gun must be kept clean for the best performance. During a day of heavy shooting, just take along some cleaning gear. A rag, some oil, and a brush. During a lull in shooting, or just take a 5 minute break and pull the barrel and wipe off the excess powder build up on the outside of the mag tube at the gas piston. Clean out the inside of the gas piston with a brush to remove any heavy build up and lightly oil it. Check the gas tube extension under the barrel for powder build up and brush or scrape any out and lightly lube. You are now good to go for the rest of the day.
    In the evening after shooting, remove the trigger group and clean out the residue inside the receiver and on the bolt. A can of break cleaner works real well for blowing out the trigger assembly. lightly re-lube, and you are ready for another day.
    Full is full. The main difference is that the trap full barrel usually shoots a tad higher than a field barrel and may have about 5 more points of constriction. Both will reach as far as you can shoot effectively, so not to worry.

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Things to do (I shoot mine all the time):

1. Make sure you have the "shaped" bolt handle, not the factory original....after a lot of shooting they tend to fly off unless you have it "shaped."

2. Learn how to take it apart (easy to do) and learn how to install recoil springs (take one extra from Wright's).

3. Take your preferred tool to clean the gas ports (long drill bit works for me).

4. They have CLP in Argentina. Get some and use it. Shoot it WET (gas tube).

5. X-1s are made of STEEL...dry the metal parts after you are done shooting for the day....the good stuff rusts if you don't keep it dry.

6. Take an extra bolt link....(Steve Fischer has them!)

The X-1s are the best there is....no question.

5. rollnblock

rollnblock Member

The SX-1 is a good gun no doubt. that being said, the south of the border shells are dirty. I repeat dirty. I took one to a dove shoot in old mexico, after about 200 shells i ended up with a single shot bolt action. the gun would not cycle. Appon tear down that was the dirtiest gun i have ever seen. it took 30 minutes of scrubbing to get the mag tube and piston clean. IMHO a double barrel break open action is the way to go if you want to enjoy yourself. no gas holes to block, no slide action to gum up.
    I returned the next year with a winchester 101. clean up was easy, swab the barrel and add some more grease to the pivots.
    hope this helps
    Dave

6. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

The SX1 has a nylon or plastic recoil buffer in the top rear of the receiver. Whatever you buy, take out the trigger group and look in there to see what condition it is in. New ones can be found at Nu-line. Not too much trouble to replace it.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have the SX3 and love it but it shoots high---Probably good for bird hunting as the bird rises you'd be right on---gL with the X1---great guns---George@SJB

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Not trying to stir trouble but i am sure some will not like this. The 390/391 or the benelli super 90's are a better choice for what you intend to do. And i always tell anyone that asks the super x 1 is the second best auto ever made. They just will not function as long as the 390/391 will before cleaning. The Benelli will shoot for days but you will also get the full effect of the recoil from each shot as well.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Beretta's-trigger stinks but function well. Benellis, triggers stink, too light, shoot too flat, kick hard but easy to maintain and very reliable.

Super-X, best trigger, need more cleaning, grip not good for small hands but tends to bite the knuckle of those with large hands, best pointing but stocks tend to be cast in making them great for lefties and not great for righties.

The heart of all autos is the trigger and that makes the Super-X #1. I've "owned " all of the above but still have 3 SX-1's!!

10. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

good advice about the bolt buffer and fitted action handle. Take an extra one of each along. Very few breakage problems on the SX-1. The things that can break are: Carrier release button will crack where retaining pin passes through the part usually somewhere between 30 and 50K rounds. Of course the bolt buffer at 5 to 10K. Just replace it when it looks chewed up a bit. The bolt link (connecting rod) but rarely. In my experience of seeing literally hundreds of SX-1's go through my shop, I have only replaced about 4 carrier releases, 2 bolt links, and 2 firing pins that had broken. Bolt buffers are a part of preventative maintenance.
    One thing I have never understood is the adversion by so many to gun cleaning and that somehow a gun that will rate higher if it goes longer without cleaning. Most of the breakage of parts is a result of NOT cleaning a gun, and I can say I have replaced far more broken parts in Beretta 390's and 391's than I ever did in a SX-1. Don't get me wrong as the Beretta is a fine gun, (surpassed finally by the new A-400, but they do break a lot of parts such as the bolt bodies, locking blocks, firing pins and springs, extractors and especially ejectors, and the gas pistons crack.
    For those recoil sensitive, an O/U may not be a good choice for this kind of hunt, and auto's do kick less. The new Beretta A-400 with the kick off device is a very mild recoiling gun, and very easy to clean.

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Wasn't there an issue with non repairable triggers?

Were the early ones likely to break?

How do you tell the difference between them?

regards

12. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Beretta's-trigger stinks but function well. Benellis, triggers stink, too light, shoot too flat, kick hard but easy to maintain and very reliable.

Super-X, best trigger, need more cleaning, grip not good for small hands but tends to bite the knuckle of those with large hands, best pointing but stocks tend to be cast in making them great for lefties and not great for righties.

The heart of all autos is the trigger and that makes the Super-X #1. I've "owned " all of the above but still have 3 SX-1's!!
    Maybe with a pull trigger the superX1 is ok. In a release I think they are not as good as a 303,390 or 391. Their is a all american that used to work for winchester and shot a superX alot but got tired of the trigger problems with a release.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Funny, I shoot release and had several made by the late Lew Waltersdorf (LHW)with never a hiccup. In fact, the last one ever made by his assistant-Jim Moffit -before he died, was for me. I'm currently having one made by Phillips (just for fun) for evaluation. I doubt I'll have any issues.

The one and only Winchester rep I knew that shot an SX-1 was the almighty John Muir. I think he received All-American status by bribing Jimmy Robinson with copius amounts of alcohol.

As bruce-em said, the early stage one triggers did break the allen set screw at times. Many gunsmiths were able to replace them.

By the way, that comment about John Muir was made in jest. He was one fine shooter!!

14. Doug Kennedy

Andy, Mike Jordon was who I was talking about.

Funny you would mention Phillips that is who will make my next trigger. I have 5 Hoblits 1 timney and 2 LHW releases and i'm not happy with any of them. All of the releases that I have change to much for me. Both the set and the release.

I love how the superXs feels and points as well as the low recoil

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Super X-2 and 3 are much more durable guns. My 3.5"
    X-3 will reliablely eject trap loads.

16. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Ahem.....

I alternate between my 303s...X-1s and 391s all the time... they ALL have gun-specific issues......links break (all of them) if you don't replace the recoil spring....hammer braces break sometimes....the gas system needs maintenance in all of them...they are all semiautos and by definition, will need MAINTENANCE....the trade off is that you wont be blinking and have involuntary nervous ticks from recoil when you go back to the lodge.....the choice is simple: clean your gun or ice your shoulder (o/u or recoil operated semiauto)....

Berettas rule in Argentina...but it is more due to availability of parts/local knowledge....Benellis are gaining some ground....I will put my X-1 against ANY Beretta...anytime, anywhere.....

P.S. Anyone shooting a 101 in a high volume situation must have a diseased central nervous system.....

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Loaned mine to my cousin back in 1999. He shot skeet till his shoulder finally give out. He moved back to the area in 2010. He shot one hell of a lot of skeet with that gun. He never cleaned it all those years. I had three barrels for it. Trap full, full. and one cut back by nuline and screw chokes installed. I'm a trap shooter. When I got the gun back I took it trapshooting for secveral weeks and did not have a problem. I called my cousin one weekend by just being courious and asked him when was the last time he cleaned the gun and he said he never did. I went straight to the gun room and took it apart. The buffer was smashhed so bad that it looked like powder. Everything else was so gummy and grimmy that I dissambeled everything and got a wrights kit when I was at the grand in August of 2012. But the stainless kit in with the new buffer and went back to shooting. I couldn't believe I never had any trouble with it feeding especially the way the buffer was pounded to powder. I must have been one of the lucky ones. Bill

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bangalore, Steve...What do you mean "shaped" bolt handle? Thanks.

A while ago Nu-Line was selling new Old Stock buffers, some would bust after 1 round. I highly suggest a Wrights buffer.

Wayne

19. 1964_Superposed

1964_Superposed TS Member

I had the same bad luck with nu line buffers, they replaced them 3x, each time with a different explaination.

20. Doug Kennedy

When it comes to superX1 parts, I just drive about 4 or 5 blocks down to Wrights and pick them up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shooting the super x1 shotgun videos
super x model 1 bolt slide buffer
winchester super x 1 release trigger

winchester super x model 1 best recoil buffer

winchester super x model 1 bolt slide buffer
winchester super x1 durability
winchester super-x bolt release
you tube winchester super x1 slide bolt buffer installation