1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super Target?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Just obtained 4 lbs. of win. Super Target. Anybody using it? Looks like most 1 oz. loads run about 19 GRS + or- and it seems to be a fairly fast burning powder. How is it on felt recoil? other opinions? Justy wondering.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As I recall it was a bit dirty which never was a bother to me. Winchester made the claim that using it was as close to what they used in factory loadings as the public could obtain. It replaced 452 if memory serves.

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I tought it was fast, clean, efficient, just a problem with a bit of problem loading as it would trickle (due to the smallish size of its flakes) through the charge bar and it would shower down on the reloader (MEC).

Berettaman7

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Barettaman7, If you use both the rubber washer on top (next to bottle) and the metal washer below it (on charge bar) and install the metal one correctly, and not upside down there will be little or no powder migration from the charge bar on Mec reloaders.
    Slideaction, I have never used Super target powder (a little pricy), but have known two people who reloaded it and they both loved it. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Been using WST for many, many years. Great stuff. I've never found it to be dirty.

For singles I use around 18.6 in 1 1/8 ounce, but have even cut that back some. I like a super light load, but I shoot pretty quickly.

I've moved into Promo, which is supposedly dirty, but I don't see it as a problem, BUT it is a helluva lot cheaper than all the others.

WW

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Thanks, Got a decent deal on some from a friend of mine. I'll try it and see what happens. I too have heard it meters a tad on the slow side.

7. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

I have used super target in the past and was pleased with it's performance, but I had trouble with it in my MEC sizemaster. I had the rubber washer and the metal one installed correctly but I still had powder migration issues. I went back to Red Dot & Promo and my charge bar operates much smoother. If I got a great deal on super target, I would not hesitate to use it.

REDD04

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I still use it for a light 1 1/8 singles load. Like Whiz 18.6 is pretty good with the Western orange wad and Win209 primer in AA hulls. The book says you can go up to 20.0 grains with the same combo to attain 1200 fps.
    Never cared for it with 1 ounce and the pink Win wad, seemed you have to use a lot of powder for the fps you get. I tried cutting the powder down a bit in the 1 ounce load and the shells got "boomy".
    There are many better choices in powder for 1 ounce, but if the price is right it makes a good shooting 1 1/8 load within the range of 1145 to 1200 fps.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've used it for years for both singles and handicap.

I've been on the 27 since 1975, and been using WST ever since it first came out because it replaced a powder I really liked from Winchester.

Can't remember it's nomenclature now-I want to say SR7625, but's that's not correct.

I really like it for 27 yards.

Whiz White

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

20 grains of WST in an AA hull, AA type wad with 1 1/8 oz of shot is a fantastic load to use from the 27. I have been using it since 1992. It is a little dirty but who cares. I am more interested in how well it shoots.

Vince McNamara

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Yes, the 20.0 grain WST load Vince mentioned is, according to Winchester, the duplicate for the factory "Heavy Red" 1 1/8 ounce 3 dram load.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great powder. It's very dense and fine grained. It has a tendency to leak from some loaders. You can pretty closely duplicate the standard Winchester AA target loads with it. It meters well and is consistent from lot to lot. It's never varied even a tenth of a grain in may years over many lots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.