1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Winchester Super Target vs AA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Does the Winchester Super Target hull have the same base wad construction as the AA hull?
  2. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

I've got much the same questions regarding Super Targets and their reloadability. I've got a pile of them here and would like to get some mileage out of them.
  3. shrek

shrek Member

they have a similar base wad construction as the AA's have

they are generally looked at as a pain in the keester to re-load due to the tube being of flimsy plastic that is it very difficult to get a decent crimp with.

I do not waste my time with them anymore.
  4. brad99g

brad99g Member

I didn't have any issues with the few I have loaded, it has only been a few boxes though. Threw them away after that.
  5. claybuster38

claybuster38 TS Member

In 20 gage, I use lots of them- not my favorite- I can only get 3/4 oz int0 the hull. I thinkI have read that win shirtened their case. I find that rios
  6. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

Here's what I did. I took a AA recepie for 1 oz. of shot. I powder charged and reprimed the hull. I read somewhere that to load these hulls to use a 1 1/8 oz wad and put in 1 oz. of shot. I only loaded one. Crimped fine for me. I had tried other combinations but like others here have said, I got a poor crimp. Now I haven't shot my "new creaton" hull, but it looks fine.
  7. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

If you compare the super target to the AA HS the inside construction is the same. I use AA data, redot powder claybuster AA replacement wad winchester primer and 1-1/8 ounce shot and it crimps real nice on my Mec Grabber. Used this load last weekend in trap doubles and won my class.
  8. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

Rufus 80, did you have to make any adjustments to your loader?
  9. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

MDmike, no adjustments. Same settings as I reload sts, gun clubs, top guns. I think the super targets reload better than the AA HS. Always get good crimps with the super target but the AA 's there is always a hole in the crimp.
  10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

So, is it correct that the AA inside construction is the same as Winchester Super Target? If so, does that mean the wad, shot, powder, primer, pressures, all the same in new shells - only the casings are different?

If somebody only shoots new shells, they save $ by using the Super Target vs. AA's and get the same payload?

I am not being a smart axx- I am really seeking accurate details. Thanks,

jack in PA
  11. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

I buy Super Targets for Singles and Doubles and believe that they have harder shot than Gun Clubs which I would Not use for registered Handicap. I buy AA's for Handicap and get the $100 rebate and I can reload them many times. If I ever tried to reload a Super Target hull I would pitch it after 1 reload because it is a flimsy hull.
  12. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I have some super targets that have been reloaded 6 times. No problem with weak plastic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.