1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super Target Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Does anyone have comments on the Winchester Super Target shells? They are showing up at Cabela's and other large merchants.

2. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I have shot 8 or 10 boxes and have not seen a problem with them.

3. ksshooter

ksshooter TS Member

Averaged 97 something with reloads up to the grand and switched to these win super targets at the grand and shoots afterward...averaged just over 99 with them. So...assuming the shells had something to do with it, I'm for them. No misfires or problems.
    A friend who shoots sporting clays told me he shot with a guy from Fla who had the crimps open up...he kept one and showed me...it looked like the super target, but had only a 6 star crimp rather than the 8 that the ST has. I think these 6 stars are super field shells.
    The ST's have a AA wad I think, but this wad measures sligtly shorter than the AA wads that I have in bags,...maybe the wad from the ST that I cut open was a little compressed still when I measured it.

cfs

4. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have shot around 20 cases of them, no problems whatsoever. We cut one apart and they seem to have the exact same componants as a regular AA, the only difference is the Hull.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Super Target shells are popular in Western Canada. As Shawn said they work fine, I find the recoil not much different than Estates in 1145 ft/sec 1 1/8 oz loads. Before I put a new firing pin in my O/U, I had some misfires with Estates in my top barrel. Instead of pocketing the Estate shell that didn't go off I would merely put a Super Target in that barrel and put the Estate with a slight dent in the primer in the other barrel and shoot the pair of Doubles. I continue to use premium AA shells for Handicap but I have shot good practice rounds from the 27 with Super Target shells.

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have shot them for some trap, but I really like them for a hunting load. They lay waste from ditch parrots to chukar and everything in between. I haven't noticed any excess recoil.
    Go Well
    Wayne

7. white rattler

white rattler Member

I shot them for a while. I did not like the fact that they did not come in a 1oz load. I had cocked wads and bad primers. But I do think the quality was any worse than any of the other shell makers. I think the Gun Club or the Top Gun are better than the Super Targets but they are not to be found in Western Canada. Trevor Dawe.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

OK. I'm lost! What the heck is a ditch parrot? Probably shot a hundred or so but never heard that term in sixty+ years of doing it. Incidently, the shells are pussycats!

9. white rattler

white rattler Member

Big Jack, I think it is a crow or a magpie. Trevor Dawe.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've seen several of these shells where during the manufacturing process where the plastic hull is pressed into the metal base, part of the hull gets sheared, and hangs over the metal.

11. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

I have been shooting the 1 1/8, 2 3/4dram super target 6 point crimp loads and found they are really nice to shoot and quite a less recoil than the top guns..

12. white rattler

white rattler Member

1moreround, Have you ever shot the top gun or gun club in a 1oz? If you did how did you find them for recoil? Trevor Dawe.
    Shawn, And who would our friend be? As I have so few. Merry Xmas to you and yours Trevor.

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shot a bunch of them for all events and they break targets just fine...but as you will see they stick in the chambers of Ljutic's and some other guns and as Trevor stated, they don't come in a 1 oz. load so I shoot AA 1oz. 8's for everything but am considering going to a 1 1/8 oz load for 'caps from the 27...

Ron Burr

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Sounds like Brand W's answer to Rem Gun Clubs

Cheap hull, good shot, as compared to say Rem Game loads with soft shot

A friend shot a box next to me and did well but at the marked price of $10.50 per box I suspected an error as AA's are less

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

A few years ago, maybe when Sarah Winchester was still around, the Super Target was a paper hull with powder burn that smelled like turkeys being singed. A good shell - but that was then - .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.