1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Super Target papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, Aug 7, 2013.

1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    If any of you out there has some old Win. Super Target empties, I would be interested in them. In doing some straightening up in the garage and reloading area, I stumbled onto some of the short red Win. wads that were for the Super Target papers, and I would like to load some of them up. A 100 or 200 empties would be great, don't have to be once fired (it would be nice), but "shooters" would be ok too-(twice or three fired). I'm not real picky on the condition of the hulls, just so I can load them once more to use these wads up. Thanks for any help. -powderburn

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Boy, I shot the hell out of them from the 27 years ago. It was my most favorite shell back then.

WW

3. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Whiz is exactly right. Those old WW Super Target shell pounded targets harder than anything I've ever shot, before or after, with very mild recoil. Never tried to reload but left a few cases of hulls on the ground. Hopefully, someone will have a few lying about so you can use up your existing cache of wads. Lyle

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I wouldn't load them. I found a bunch of new shells in my basement that I didn't know I had. I found the paper had absorbed moisture and had become soft. I was
    afraid to shoot them. The paper was never as robust as the Federal papers. Remember, they have a basewad.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Powder burn, where do you live?

Whiz, I shot more of them than you...lol

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I think I have some case fresh boxes. I will check when I get home. Jeff

7. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Brings back memories, they smelled a bit different!!
    [​IMG]

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Man, I shot a bunch of them things ... Never could understand why Winchester quit making them ... I had to start shooting the Federal Papers when you couldn't get these Winchester shells any longer ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If you find some, make sure you shoot them out of a break open gun and check the barrel after every shot. The fiber base wade has a nasty habit of breaking lose and lodging in the barrel, this can happen with once fired hulls and worsens after each reloading. Also make certain your depriming rod is not two large in diameter as it will cause the fiber wad to crumble and block the primer causing hang or misfires.

Surfer

10. whiz white

Pheasantmaster: You weren't even born then! :)

I reloaded shot for 1st shot in doubles, and if I remeber correctly I used a Herter's Chaliscup wad... about the only wad available then. Now you can use the WA12R or the Claybuster CB1138-12.

As with WPT, I never could figure out why Winchester stopped making them. I realize they were a higher dollar shell to load, but us guys jumped over each other to get them.

Federal papers always smelled better.

WW

11. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I have a box of factory shells that was part of a case that Ned Lily owned and gave to a mutual friend. But I would never part with them just for that reason.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I never liked that perfume smell of the AA ball powder or whatever they used.

I shot them at Reno one year and everyone said not to re-load any paper shell from there because of the humidity was so low.

A case of shells then were $50.50.

Regards....Gerald

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Thanks for the picture of the box on the fence. Brings back memories. Yea, you have to be a little more patient and make sure all the bases are pushed back down. I loaded several 15 years ago or so, and was amzed how soft they shot. Those days I was loading WW473 powder and it was really soft-shooting. Thanks for any empties anyone might have. -powderburn

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Powderburn, if you don't find any cases. The Red Winchester wads make a fine load for game shooter with 1-1/4 loads. You might try and trade them at your club. Just a thought.

Ajax

15. whiz white

I use that red WW wad for a load that duplicates the Remington Nitro Magnum 1½ game load. It is an absolute killer for high flying pheasants later in the season.

WW

16. skipsor

skipsor Member

Back in the '90s the LAPD used to shoot them for shotgun qualification twice a year.

My brother was a cop and we went to the Police Academy and brought home trash bags full of them, literally thousands.

I still have a few left and I just gave a couple of hundred to a buddy that I shoot with.

They are a very nice hull to reload.