Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester Super Handicap Clone

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Perazzi_MX8 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed here before but I can't seem to find the thread so I am starting this one. Does anyone have an accurate receipe for the Winchester Super Handicap. My gun loves them but my wallet doesn't!!

Thanks,

Brownk80

#4 ·
Both of the loads above are excellent. I am especially fond of Titegroup. Winchester says they use SuperHandicap powder in the silver bullets.

I suggest you cut one open. You will find the orange Win WTT12 wad and a very dense powder. The orange wad is JUST taller than the white WAA12 wad. This makes for a better fit with the dense powder.

#9 ·
The Remington green 1 oz wad is TGT12. Interesting design in that the shot cup is actually the same the 1 1/8 oz Fig 8, the support is just a little taller.

From Hodgdon, Win AA hull, Win 209, WAA12, 20.9 gr Super Hcp, 11,300 psi, 1255 f/s. I suggest you take Alvades' advice and check if Win is indeed using the WWT12 orange wad and get those.

Jason

#10 ·
20.9 Grs Winchester Super Hdcp Powder, WAA-12 Wad 11,300 psi duplicates the Winchester Super Hdcp Shell.

24.0 Grs 800-X, WAA-12 wad 8800 psi equals 1250 fps this is softer

24.0 grs 800-X Windjammer Wad 7700 psi 1250 fps this is soft also lower pressures.

Using Super Hdcp Powder most loads are 11,300 or higher, I don't like that.

All above Loads Using Winchester HS Hulls.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#11 ·
Jason
Also try Bill's above mentioned recipe with the fig 8 one ounce wad in the cheap Federal top gun hulls. I load these once and trash them as the primer won't seat after one reload. Low pressure and very little felt recoil. Very fast good handicap shell from the back fence.

#15 ·
I agree with Dr.Longshot and TD1958

The theory that the exact same payload, at the exact same muzzle velocity, equals exactly the same felt recoil, is only partially true. It's based loosely on Newton's Law that we were taught in High School science class. The burning rate of powder, and the pressure curve they create, will effect felt recoil. The powder with a longer smoother pressure curve will feel less abrupt and produce less peak pressure to produce the same velocity. If pressure alone created velocity all 1255 FPS loads would have the same pressure, and they don't. The smokeless powders we use today have the same chemical composition and the burning rates are controlled by the coatings applied to them. Some companies identify powder by using colored flakes, or size and shape of extruded and ball powders, but the coatings are what is controlling the burn rate. It's just like eating chocolate covered ants where the coating is everything!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.