1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WINCHESTER STEEL SHOT TRAP LOADS!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    during our state shoot i was on a 16 yard squad with a guy who was using "winchester steel shot trap loads" they looked like regular AA shells. the box said they were steel trap loads, size 7 shot? I asked him where he got them and he said some guy was selling them. he broke the targets no different than using lead. according to ATA rules were these shells legal, being size 7 shot, also i wonder how they would perform in handicap? he also told me he paid $12.00 per box for these steel trap loads. do you think they will become mandatory in the future?
    steve balistreri

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There are a few clubs I know of where steel is mandatory. How that will affect other clubs is anyones guess right now.

Eric

3. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

Steve , use the 7's for 16's and 6's for 27 yd cap , I was pleased with them
    I don't know the rules on them , all I can say is they will smoke
    targets , I used 15 thou choke up front and 25 thou from 27 yds .
    Try'em you mite like'em .

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

We have to use them at Naperville Sportsman's Club. Most of us that shoot on a regular basis reload. We buy everything in Bulk so it's not that costly. Around a buck a pound for Steel in bulk....

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

$12 per box is insane. 1300+ fps is insane too. We must be under $4 with our reloads, but I haven't heard since prices went up.

6. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

Hey Luckyman ! The supplier for steelshot , does he carry large shot ?
    such as 2's or bigger ! Thanks

7. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

$12.00 shells, see ya, I be gowine on and be doin sumpin eess.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

$0.48 each time you pull the trigger, just for the ammo?

Hannum was right... There's one born every minute!

-Gary

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Hey Senior...

#7 Steel is legal for ATA registered shooting. We received an AOK on that from both the ATA & ITA which allowed us to offer registered programming at the Naperville Sportsman's Club.

While our range also allows #6 steel, we have been given no authorization to shoot #6 in registered events. We keep our velocities in line with lead loads of similar weight.

As for the future... the shooting sports industry is committed to lead. Good science shows lead does not migrate in neutral pH. Likewise, our extensive experience at Naperville and from what I hear about Skyway confirms that steel is a viable and economical alternative to lead, but some dynamics have to be better understood for the uninitiated.

AA Steel, STS Steel were early offerings of premium steel target loads. Since then we've used Winchester Xpert, Remington Sportsman and Federal Duck and Target, all in #7... with varying degrees of success and recoil.

We presently offer our members participation in a Club reloading program, which provides components at competitive pricing and extensive proprietary testing data. We've been on the leading edge of this conundrum for years... our situation mandates steel, we'll have to wait and see...

regards to all,

Jay

10. BMC

BMC Member

Are you using full or mod chokes with that steel? Just curious because I was under the impression that full chokes and steel didn't mix well.

11. joe kuhn

Everyone says that, but if the manufacturers recommend that because of large steel sizes at fast speeds, then it's questionable how relevant it is to #7s at regular target speeds.

We've not seen problems with full chokes at our steel only club, and in fact, there are plenty of lead rated chokes here. They're not even steel rated. How is it we've not had a blown choke?

What would be a good test of this? How about this: Buy a new lead rated full choke, measure the outside diameter, shoot it with steel for a season and then remeasure. Would have to do the same with lead only shells to be fair. There may be some measurable stretch in all chokes.

Or I could send my full choke to the mfr and ask them to measure it. They know the specs. To be completely forthwright, it's not as loose going into the barrel as the brand new one I just purchased. Same bore size of .739 for a Mach One.

I can't even buy a Briley steel choke with the same constriction as a lead full. Briley's 'full' choke for steel is more open than the same 'full' for lead. Some might say, "Ah hah! What does that tell you?" My answer is - refer to top of this post.

Note I'm not recommending anything here. I'm describing what I'm doing.

Later,
    Joe

12. spitter

BMC...

Following up on what Joe Kuhn offered and your question, after extensive patterning, the modified chokes are just not "full" with steel. I have had to actually put full chokes in my Brownings and I presently shoot a 90T with a fixed full... this smaller, slower steel patterns better with a "true" full ckoke.

I think Joe has it right... I believe that most of the early recommendations were based on goose and duck hunting loads using much larger shot sizes and faster velocities.

At Naperville, like most ranges, you'll find our guns run the gamut from Remington pumps to break action BT99s with Kolars, Krieghoffs and the occasional Perazzi, with choke tubes semis thrown in.

Not one bad barrel in the lot and that's after 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of rounds (100,000+), among all of us, over the past few years.

Pattern first, but I hope that offered some insight.

regards to all,

Jay

13. joe kuhn

We're on our second or third ton of steel this year. I think it was 3 last year.

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

thanks for the informative information. years ago, when steel shot first came on the scene, i read a magazine article that if you used a factory fixed full choke a white ring would appear at the tip of the barrel. have no idea if this is true, they even had a picture of this happening to a barrel. the article also said to use a modified choke, instead of full. don't know what to believe.
    steve balistreri

15. BMC

BMC Member

Thanks for the first hand information Jay and Joe. I have never shot steel nor hope that I have to. I have often wondered what it would do to the fixed full barrel on my BT100.

16. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I noticed most places sell steel by 10lb bags. How much shot are people using in the target loads? Is it roughly half the weight?
    Thanks,
    Chris

17. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

I solved the lead dilemma years ago. I shoot silver shot exclusively.

18. joe kuhn

Chris,

We mostly shoot 1 oz of steel. This is the same volume as 1-3/8 oz of lead. Now that's volume-wise. That's an 8 to 11 parts ratio or about 2 to 3.

A few guys shoot 1-1/8 and some shoot 7/8. The smoke with the largest load is phenominal because of all the pellets. The smaller load can be pushed faster and some guys prefer that.

Joe

19. spitter

Without offering any recommendation, I use a 9/8oz volume bushing which throws 3/4oz (.74) steel #7. That coupled with a light (slower) charge of powder, offers a very nice singles load and has worked well for me... I'm up to 97/100.

I have a nice guest gun which is a BT99 in laminate/nickle (bought here on TS.com) and keep the full choke tube in... smacks 'em nice!

Out to 27 yards, my load suffers with less energy and pellets... so for distance I buy a few boxes of factory. But out to 20-22 it does its job if I'm doing mine. Light loads, slower loads... for me, that's the ticket!

Steel is a real alternative to lead. Last night we were shooting our "dove"... targets at 40-60+ yards - Winchester Xpert #7 did the trick.

Steel shot does not have to be a death sentence to any clubs' operation - at Naperville, Skyway and others - we're shooting, throwing registered - we're proving it!

regards to all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choke for steel shot 16 yard trap
chokes for steel target loads
steel shot for trap loads
steel shot trap load

steel shot trap loads

steel shot winchester