1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester short red wad for 1-1/2 magnum loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We shoot some heavy magnum loads for extreme yardage games shoot offs. Some applications call for the short red wad in order to have room for all of the shot. This leaves much of the shot with no plastic protection around it to protect it from direct contact to the barrel. Will this application hurt your overall patterns due to shot deforming contact to the barrel ?

Clyde

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Hey old timer, They have always worked good for me, Now since Winchester stopped making the waa12r wad I have gone the claybuster clone of it. It is CB1138-12, and they work fine.

Trap-4

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

FWIW: If you look at a used wad, you will notice that the top quarter inch or so does not show any deformation of the plastic. I think the top shot rubbing against the barrel is probably not deformed either. I have seen factory loads that had shot above the shot collar. Back in the day I used the red wad with 1 3/8 ounce of lead #6 shot and 27 gr. of Unique with great results on ducks, etc. Ron

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The barrel of your gun is way bigger than the inside of the shotgun shell. You may be getting more shot protection than you think. I still have red wads and will use them for pigeon loads.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Seems like I used to load AA hulls with the red AA wad and Blue Dot powder for magnum loads for geese. Copper plated #2's.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

They work fine. I however preferred the RP12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

redwad