1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Select trap gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SamMiami, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamMiami

SamMiami TS Member

I'm looking for a trap gun and like the way the Winchester Select Energy Trap fits me. Do you know if they are good durable guns? Thank you.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have serviced a Select Sporter, and shot it on the Bunker field. The gun not only fits me well, but seems to be a well built gun based on the Beretta O/U. Don't forget, it is built by FN Belgium!

The fellow who owns the Sporter bought a Trap model for his daughter. If the gun fits, and the price is right, buy the gun. I have heard folks say it kicked them, but this may be because it did not fit them.

At 61, I am rather recoil shy, and the gun was very easy to shoot. I shoot 24 gram loads at a chrono'd 1391, so they are not powder puff loads. When I was at the range a while back qualifying a fellow with the Patrol Shotgun, some club members thought we were shooting a center fire RIFLE, due to the muzzle blast and sonic boom of the loads.

In summary, an understated gun at a good price. The Invector Plus choke system is nothing to sneeze at, either!

I bought a backup for my K-80, and I narrowed choices down to either the Select Sporter of the Cynergy Sporter. The Cynergy won out because the distributor was out of the Select!

3. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Have one I use for doubles. Monte Carlo Trap adjustable comb, double release trigger from Spears and it is a great gun. Looks good, works well, and shoots better than I. I have not had one problem. Darrell at Spears told me when he did the release for me that the internal parts were excellent. Upon examining them when I received the trigger back I had to agree. His workmanship was polished out and it looks as good inside as out. Patterns have been solid and choke tubes do their job. You can buy a lot more prestige, I'm not too sure you can buy a lot more gun.

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have the trap model with adjustable comb. It is a great gun, I have put well over 15,000 rounds through it without a problem yet. I think that it is one of the best gun values out there.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I think the first owner of any target shotgun usually takes a beating when selling but these guns retail for only a couple of grand. how bad can it get and why did you sell it so soon? The newer they are, the worse the beating is going to be.

I do not have personal experience with the gun, but I do not believe the new winchester/browning crew is going to put out a POS.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They are good durable guns.

You're welcome

John C. Saubak

7. SamMiami

SamMiami TS Member

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it. I'm buying one. Good luck!

8. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you are looking for one, I have one on my web site. 32" barrels, adj comb, new in box $1500.00
    Mike Battista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.