1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Select & Mossberg Silver Reserve ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MrMoeTN, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

I have looked over the past files regarding WS Energy most of which is favorable. My question is what experience does anyone have with the difference between the trap version and the sporting version? I can find little difference both can be had with adjustable comb. Any other comments on this piece?

I have also looked over the past files on the Mossberg SR most of which are negative. When I handle the gun it seems very solid. Handles like a Browning in my opinion. The main negative comment has been regarding the breaking of firing pins. Some have said they are now into another generation in which this problem has been resolved. Anybody with recent experience with the SR? Does anyone know any particulars on this "generation" (ie serials etc)?

Thanks guys. We have such a broad knowledge base here. It is always helpful to learn from those of you with more experience.

Chris Morris

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Winchester Select is a fantastic gun for the money. The other one is #%*$(@$.

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had both guns. The winchester is hands down better. Handles better, feels better, shoots better, and most of all a better trigger pull.
    I had no problems with my Mossberg SR, but the trigger pull was so hard for me
    that I couldn't shoot it well. I got the gun for hunting only and wasn't looking for much. I still couldn't come to grips with it and sold it. The Winchester I still have. Great gun.

4. ilive4skeet

ilive4skeet TS Member

mrmoetn:

To answer you question on the differences between the Energy Sporting and Trap models. I have both. The sporting gun is lighter and has a narrow rib. The trap gun has a wider, heavier rib. Both of mine have adjustable combs. I've shot both guns @ various games (trap, skeet and sporting) and find that the trap gun shoots higher than the sporting and I have to adjust the comb significantly to compensate. We also shoot a game where we shoot wobble trap targets form the skeet pads and find that the sporting gun has a much better swing on fast targets and sharp angles. With the trap gun, I'm usually behind the target and somewhat higher. I'm still working on both and hav only had the for a short time.

Just MHO.

Mike Mates

5. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

Thanks Mike! You were exactly what I was looking for. Folks around here are duck hunters not clay shooters. Racks are not sitting full of examples of these to handle. I shoot 23-25 with my field grade gun and an wanting to graduate to something a little higher up the food chain but still have something that will be at home at any of the games. Sound like the sporting will be a better fit for an all around gun than the trap is.
    Thanks Again,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.