1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Select Energy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grade VI, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I'm looking at buying a used Winchester Select Energy and know very little about these guns. What can you tell me about them? Are they built well and will they hold up shooting trap with them? What is a fair price for a used gun in very good condition? Thanks

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have one for sale on this forum. This was my second gun. The first was a 30" barrel model with adjustable comb. This one is 32" barrel.

I shot the first gun from Nov 2010 until Jan 2012, when I sold it locally and bought the second one NIB. I have not had any issues with either one, really. The forearm screws on the first one became a little loose, and I put some blue locktite on them, and that fixed it.

These guns have a low-profile receiver, much like the European Cynergy models. I shot mine for sporting, with the comb slightly up. I then added two washers, and shot it for trap.

A friend of mine shot it some, and remarked that it has a very nice trigger.

I PM'd you my phone number if you'd like to chat.

Danny

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

And you dont have to worry about Danny. He is a good guy

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think these are real good guns for the money. I've had dealings with Danny and he's a top notch seller and a great feller to boot.

Joe

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I had one as my first trap gun. No problems at all with it.

They have no resale value. I gave mine to my son.

Don

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I had one, 32" trap model with monte carlo stock. Well made, good shotgun for the money. I sold it 'cause it shot too high to suit me (70/30). Some of them had issues with cracked forearms.

7. DinoB

DinoB Member

Bought one of these when I went back to grad school......to have something fairly cheap to shoot all events with. Broke some very nice scores with it. The only problem that I had was the forearm split. Had it sent back and fixed for just the cost of shipping. Overall, a good economical gun IMHO.

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Danny speaks the truth--Good Guns- BUT, REMOVE Forearm screws and use BLUE Locktite BEFORE you shoot it. Really-Seriously-Absolutely-For Sure- Then should be GOOD to Go. This info was taken from Ts.com and I have (2) people that have put over 9,000 thru both guns with NO problems at ALL. JMO Joe joe90t

9. lostandout

lostandout Member

i had well over 10,000 rounds thru mine shot my first 25 with it never any trouble

brian

10. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Thanks for the info. Any other info would help greatly. I'm probably going to buy it later this week.

11. xglide06

xglide06 TS Member

i have one as well. I also had the forearm crack, which was fixed at no cost by browning. I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat for the price. I've put approximately 7500 rounds thru mine in the last year. Listen to joe90t and locktite the screws and you should be good to go! Hope that helps!

12. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

What is a good price for a slightly used one? Probably several hundred shells put through it. Also, is the trigger easily removed?

13. rondl

rondl Member

I would agree with the previous post that they shoot about 70/30, at least that is what mine does. I bought mine used about a year ago and have had zero problems with it.

14. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

I had one three years ago. Kept it for two years, until I got the fever for a 90t. It was an OK gun. Paid $1000. for it slightly used, sold it later for $800. Very plain wood and I didn't like the recoil pad so I replaced it with a Pachmayr XLT trap pad. I never had any issues with the forearm cracking. they have evolved into the new Winchester 101 pigeon grade trap. Nicer wood better recoil pad extended choke tubes. Like I said OK gun, but if you compare it to a 90t it's not even close.

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I bought one of these guns new as a back-up to my Browning XT. I added an adjustable comb and a Graco adjustable butt plate.

I have had absolutely no problems with mine, but I have only put a few hundred rounds through it. Although I have not had a problem with the fore-end, because of advice on this site, I make sure the screws are snug before every shooting.

These guns are made in the old Browning factory in Liege, Belgium and from what I can tell are built like tanks. Time will tell. Good guns for the money.

Martinpicker

16. roaddog

roaddog TS Member

I have had my select energy for 5 years bought it used I LOVE IT!!! they are correct about the forearm screws coming loose. It will crack the forearm also mine did, Last year I bought a Winchester 101 diamond grade 34" unsingle, I love that gun too but that select got me several 100 straights and got me my first 125 straight. buy it you wont be disappointed!! Hope that helps! Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
replacement butt stock for winchester select energy
winchester 101 forearm loose

winchester select energy

winchester select energy butt pad size
winchester select energy replacement stock
winchester select energy trap recoil pad
winchester select energy value