1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Select Energy-EXTRACTERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Hello, does anyone know if you can stop a Winchester Select Energy trap gun from ejecting the emptys after firing and only lift the shell for extraction.
    Thanks for any help, Carey

2. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Don't know about the 'Select', but if it's like the 101's, just remove the hammer(s)& ejector rods from the fore stock! Or just remove the rods & springs! About a 15 minute job!

3. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Midwest Gun Works did mine when they when they worked the triggers..
    I liked the work, and they were very prompt...Grubby

4. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I had a 101 and these do not work as they do, looks like you can remove the top of the little levers that kick the shell extracter and this would stop the ejection. Didn't want to go choping without a little more advice. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
    Carey

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Carey,

Just put your index finger over the breech when you open the gun. The hulls will pop into your finger then settle back down into the chamber, where you can pull them out.

Works for me.

Or, even more spiffy, just put the palm of your hand over the breech, and catch the hull as it pops into your palm. The ladies think its sexy...(ha, ha)

That way you don't have to modify the gun, and possibly re-modify it to get it back to original condition if you sell it some day.

6. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thanks for the good advice, but it's not for me, the old gent that has this gun has a lot of trouble with this, looses a lot of cases and breaks his thought train. He is new to the sport and has enough to worry about.
    Carey

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Carey

If the codger INSISTS on extraction only, remove ejectors and cut ejector springs to be level at the breech end of the barrel. The gun is similar to the Beretta in the ejector system.

Best for him to get used to it. Altering the gun in most other ways will be more trouble than it is worth.

True extraction only will lift the shell to the height it lifts the unfired hull. If this guy really wants his concentration destroyed, he might try to see how much trouble he has pulling hulls out when they are lifted less than 1/2" out of the chambers.

BTW, at 63, I guess I am a codger.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Years ago I shot at all the good shoots at Jaqua's and there was always a guy there who shot a BT99. He would open the gun and catch the hull in mid air right next to his head and have it in his shell bag all so fast you would miss it all if you were not watching very closely. I never saw him miss or drop one

9. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thanks for the input guys, he still wants to go the extracter route. Does anyone have Midwest's number.
    Carey

10. hduc2005

hduc2005 TS Member

I don't know if it is the same as a browning but there is a great post on Shotgun world about replacing the ejector springs I just did this on the wife XS Skeet and it works great
    The easiest method is to replace the Ejector Spring. Fortunately for us the 1911 Firing Pin Return Spring is exactly the right size. I got two of them here:Brownells - 1911 Firing Pin Return Spring for about $10 including shipping.

Simply replace the stock Ejector Spring with the 1911 spring and it will lift the shell lightly enough to not eject it and still elevate it enough to easily lift out.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20854&title=1911%20AUTO%20FIRING%20PIN%20RETURN%20SPRING

11. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thank you, I have some 1911 springs and will give it a try.
    Carey

12. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

As suggested buy hduc2005 I replaced the ejector springs in a friends Winchester Select Energy Trap gun with 1911 firing pin springs and it converted it to EXTRACTOR only. He was having a hard time with the ejectors so this was exactly what he wanted and all works as it should. Goes to prove, ask on this sight and someone will come up with an answer.
    Thank you
    Carey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
convert ejectors to extractors on select energy sporting
converting winchester 101 to extractors
how to disconnect ejectors on winchester 101 shotgun

how to lighten ejection springs on winchester select energy

remove the ejectors from a winchester select

removing ejectors form a winchester 101

winchester select firing pins