1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester "Saltwood"?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Winchester

There is a fellow over on ShotgunWorld.com that is stating that Winchester used "saltwood" on the Winchester Super X1's. Supposedly the saltwood use was started between serial numbers 70,000 to 80,000. Says he shoots with some of the men that built the Super x1's. Heard a lot about Browning saltwood, never heard anything about Winchester saltwood. Anyone else heard anything about Winchester saltwood?

2. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Winchester

I think it is a rumor started by a Super X-1 collector who would like to see prices come down. If rumors are repeated often they become half-truths which in feeble minds grow to solemn truths....

No one I know who owns a factory stocked X-1 has ever heard of "saltwood" in factory stocks....it is possible some aftermarket stocks were tainted....but I doubt it....

I think it reeks of "cyperspace manipulation of public perception" for selfish monetary gain....someone out there just wants cheap X-1 guns/stocks......

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Winchester

How did Browning dispose of the large quantity of salt-wood stocks they had in inventory?

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Winchester

I personally think its complete BS, I personally think Bobski the poster in question is full of BS, there is not a single published reference to saltwood and SX-1s or Winchester in general, Browning had their butt sued off for the saltwood and I cannot see how any other instance of that particular stupidity would escape public notice, I do not know of a single owner of an SX-1 who has experienced saltwood symptoms....and best of all, when I pressed Senior Bobski on how he knew this was true, he replied that he had already told me he lived in New Haven (yeah, him and 124,000 other folks).

Don't waste another moment thinking about this, its not even urban myth, its delusions of someone trying to sound important.

5. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Winchester

Never heard of ONE documented instance of any Winchester gun with saltwood. As to Browning, according to the book "The Browning Superposed" once they realized the situation the blanks were stacked up and burned.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Winchester

Bobski is trolling for gullible people who will sell him cheap X-1 stocks....Shame on you, Bobski!

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Winchester

TRUE, Browning did not salt cure their own wood they bought it from a supplier that has now gone out of business, They also provided high grade wood to Winchester and Weatherby, its out there. Jeff

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Winchester

bigbore613:

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, then there is a possibility that a Super X1 could have saltwood.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Winchester

DoubleAuto....just about the same odds as Rev Obutu sharing the Millions that he got for selling his Monestary in Zambizi and for helping him smuggle all that money into this country!

10. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Winchester

OK, bigbore613, let's all these poor Winchester X-1 aficionados learn the truth:

About 12,900 years ago a giant meteorite hit the earth near where the old Marlon Salt company built their offices....all "megafauna" was instantly "vaporized" by the enormous heat. Sabretooth tigers had particularly large canines which became crystallized into a particularly nasty salty residue....thousands of years later, when the Marlon Salt company mined for salt in the same area, that particularly nasty sabretooth salt was used to cure Browning stocks which in turn were passed on to Winchester and Weatherby....

The only reliable method of identifying such stocks is by the figure in the wood:
    If you have a Super X-1 skeet or trap "tiger striped" stock, get rid of it. They come from the salty sabretooths! Sell them cheap on gunsamerica or E-bay right away! LOL!

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Winchester

Yes it is possible and the more figured the better the chance .It is rarely seen on winchesters but it is out there.Saltwood comes in varying degrees of salt content. The first way I check is to remove one of the butt plate screws and check for rust. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester salt wood