1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester safe at costco ,opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cat house, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat house

cat house TS Member

looking at a safe at costco, winchester safe 24 gun $499.00 made by granite co in ft worth,tx. anyone own one,any opinions about them. any other suggestions.thanks for any help,ad johnson

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I saw one at our costco too.....

Cheap piece of crap. good safes are more like $1,500. Way more up here in alaska after shipping. Didn't even look to me like it was fireproof, but I could be wrong...

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

ad, I bought one of those "cheap pieces of crap" and love it. I owned a browning safe before and see no big difference between the two. Except todays prices. Be sure to use only the battery recomended. Somehow the locking device knows the difference between 9 volt batteries. And yes it is fire resistant. Its pre-drilled at the bottom if you care to bolt it to the floor. GL Jim

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It ia a good enough safe. Not a Fort Knox but your not paying a kings ransom either. It will do the job.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

IMO, the one in Costco is a best buy, don't forget free delivery (approx. 15~20% of the total cost) is also a big plus.

My Fort Knox Executive is a better made safe in many ways, but it cost 5 times more. Plus expensive delivery. My friend's uncle had the same kind of safe, a locksmith spent less than two minutes to drill the lock and opened it. There's no fantasy about expensive safes.

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

As far as theft you can run a wire into the safe just like the front door of your house.. The wire is hidden from under the safe. If the theif can get in and out in about 3 minutes after tripping the alarm you'll most likely lose your guns. But usually once they realise they've tripped the alarm they run like hell. If you wire your safe be sure to inform your alarm company. Cops LOVE to respond to known gun criminals. Jim

7. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

In my oppinion a good quality gun safe is worth every penny you pay. I had mine custom made by a guy here in Ohio and I have been extremely satisfied. I used to be paranoid about one of my grandfathers guns getting stolen, now I have absolutely no worries. Mind you I have every security feature offered on this safe and it weighs over 1500lbs... but piece of mind is priceless IMO

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

Home Depot (where I got mine) has some on sale. Check out their website. Took 2 weeks to arrive here in Vermont.

Bruce

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a Liberty and have really been considering the one you are talking about from Sam's Club for a second safe ... The convertable interior is really nice to have and makes it a great place to store all kind of valuables besides guns ... They are fired lined and are very reasonably priced ... Buy it, you'll like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Costco tip: If the price of an article sold at Costco ends in 97 cents it is marked down and they are trying to dump it.

They buy quantities at low prices, demand quality, and when they are gone probably won't be restocked.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you have a carpeted floor you can get pressure switch floor mats to install under the carpeting. That way the safe doesn't need a switch, which is reactive, but sets the alarm off before they get into it, which is proactive.

Fire safes... the further you are from a fire department, the more you need a fire safe. One caveat with fire safes... the insulation on some absorbs moisture readily. Get a Goldenrod or other drier and use it.

Cheap safes. There's nothing wrong with getting a budget safe, IF you get one that's decently built. Make sure it has a reasonably thick wall (preferably plate, not gauge metal), especially around the door, has several locking lugs on the door, and also has several fixed position locking lugs at the hinge end. If it lacks those, the hinge pins can be cut and the door opened from the opposite side pretty easily. Be sure to bolt it to the floor, with either large lag bolts, or better, large through bolts and bolt plates. If you want to store ammo and accessories, but don't have a lot of guns, get a smaller safe and put a cheap Stack On on top of it. Make sure the lock is good quality, like an S&G, not some "Brand X". All safes should have a sheer pin for the door handle. Some older safes did not. Check for that feature.

Also, if you have tools that are capable of opening a safe, like cutting tools, plasma cutters, cutting torches, etc., make sure they're locked up too. Don't make it easy for thieves.

12. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Heard tell one guy had his safe out in his garage. Well, thats where he keeps his tools too. Thing is, he knew if someone broke into his garage they'd be into his tools before the safe. Soooo...he alarmed his tool box instead of the safe. You can guess the rest. Jim

13. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have a Granite safe with the Win label stuck on it. It has a 45 min fire rateing @ 1200*, elect dial, 525 lbs. I think its a great safe.
    I had a huge custom safe I had made in 2000 and needed to go down in size and this was the best one for the $$.
    Sure you can buy a more expensive safe, but as long as it fits your needs get it. They all lock up your firearms either way.
    It has the serviceable door also (door comes off) which is what you want, not one of those hidden hinge weak style doors.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

So anti- gun Costco doesn't mind selling gun safes? Interesting....... Very interesting..... Jeff

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

i once had a great safe. then i saw it on youtube. now i have a new safe. figure 1/4" steel plate costs; fabrication costs; lock costs; finishing costs; delivery costs. and don't fool yourself - rock solid security is expensive stuff. yet we continue to shop at costco for the hollow image of what looks to be the most secure safe for the lowest cost. go figure. good luck with it

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Have a 5 minute look at the video re cheepie safes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
costco winchester safe
is a winchester gun safe any good
winchester costco safe
winchester executive safe
winchester gun safe costco

winchester safe costco

winchester safe costco 299
winchester safes costco