1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Ranger Paper shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Guy was shooting these at the club today they had felt wads in them wondered how old they were I've never seen them before.Jerry
    jdsfarms_2008_120574.jpg

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

How many of them did you get?????

I want some...

I wana say late 70's (not exactlly sure) and I believe they were the pre cursor to the AA when Win went from paper to plastic

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One of the best ever. Bonillas's old favorite. Soft but potent.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I think they are older than the 70's. I've got some of the Winchester Ranger boxes that have a large Red "W" and are yellow. The address for Winchester-Western shows no zip code. Early 60's?

Wayne

wayneo_2008_0303218.jpg

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to shoot Winchester Xpert Paper 3 1/8 - 1 1/8 -5 loads on rabbits, squirrels, quail, doves and woodcock back in 1965 as this was all our local hardware store carried. Later on, the store started to carry Federal Paper trap loads in 3 - 1 1/8 -8 and I switched to these for quail, woodcock and doves.

The Xpert paper shells looked very similar to the shells in the picture and I still remember how nice they felt in the hand right out of the box.

I had just bought a new 870 field grade with a 28" modified barrel and these Xpert shells were like magic in that gun. When the doves were flying or the quail were on the rise, they shucked like lighting through that 870.

Yes, they tore the heck out of game but my grandma could find any pellets that did not pass through with ease. I can still see doves, even at attitude, exploding into a double handful of feathers.

Ed Ward

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

Think you maybe confusing these with the paper "Super Target" from WW. Super Targets were still available in the late 70's. Bonillas was shooting them the first couple years I went to the Grand.

As good as the Federal papers smell , WW Super Targets really smelled terrible. Shot and reloaded a few. Used the red 1 1/4 oz wad.

7. goony

goony Active Member

These were made prior to April of 1961 because the don't have the Mark 5 shot collar. The one made with the shot collar were marked Mark 5 on the hull.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Winchester made paper shotshells with a paper base wads under a couple of their brands and a few private lable runs for Sears and others. The hulls were produced in both low and high brass, the high brass were field loads. The high brass field loads used a shorter paper base wad making it deeper than the low brass requiring different components. These shells were originally loaded with fiber wads and then plastic when they came available.

The target load best known as Super Target or Super Trap were loaded with 1-1/8oz of shot in two speeds 1145 and 1200 fps. Winchester's reloading data called out 22.5 grains of 452AA with their WAA12R red wad for a 1200 fps OEM duplicate.

In my opinion, these shells were the softest shooting best patterning of any target load ever produced. I still have four or five thousand once fired hulls.

The problem with reloading these hulls are the base wads. The base wad has a tendency to break loose lodging in the barrel, not a good situation. The only way to prevent the wad from separating from the hull is to apply heat to the base wad which reconstitutes the material keeping it glued in the hull. This is where Texan's long discontinued deprimer, sizer, heater comes into play, without this or a or a similar heating device you're asking for trouble when reloading these hulls. I reload some when, when I run out of other stuff to do.

Lore has it, Bonillas still has a couple of pallets of these stuck in a corner somewhere.........

Surfer

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I saw DB shooting Super Targets in Reno within the past 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much are western xpert paper hull shotgun shells

wenchester ranger paper shot shells
winchester paper hull shotgun shells
winchester ranger paper full box
winchester ranger paper hull
winchester ranger paper shot gun shell
winchester ranger trap paper loads
winchester western reloading paper