1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Brother gave me a Winchester 94 in 32 WS. It's in great shape and you wouldn't believe what he paid for it! He got it for $20 at a garage sale. He walked through the sale and asked the guy "Do you have any guns or knives?" The guy then went into the house (a very well to do gentleman) and said "you can have this for 20 bucks". Supposedly the guy bought it some time in the 50's.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the .32 WS. Anyone got any information??

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

They are junk Tron! Absolutely horrible... Rather than see you troubled, I'll pay you $100 plus shipping and let you win one game of Galaga..

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Dad and I had a 32WS for years. History research a while back and an article in Rifle mag states that it was made slightly after the introduction of the 30-30 which itself followed the original calibers of 32-40 and 38-55. .321 bore dia, and designed with a rifling twist rate to allow reloading with either black or smokeless powder (basically a ballistic equivalent of the 30-30 in smokeless or the 32-40 in black loading) Never offered in black from the ammo factories.

Saw dad drop a fox at 175 yards once. No off shoulder left. Cases might be hard to come by but could be made by running 30-30 cases through the 32 ws sizing die (lube the necks well inside and out).

Remington's 32Rem was a ballistic twin and used the same loading data in the old Lyman manuals.

Depending on condition, get value from bluebook but I'll offer you double your money ...... (on the original $20). Dad gave $50 for his at a gun show in about '55 or so. My brother and I had a lot of fun shooting it with cast bullet reloads.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a Marlin .32 WS lever that I loved and had to sell it to finish college when my dad died. Good Whitetail rifle.

5. setter

setter Member

Tron,

Hornady makes a flex tip in the .32 Winchester Special, so we are no longer limited to round nose ammo in the magazine.

Jim

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Tron I own several carbines and rifles in 32 special. The rifle I always reach for first and use the most is a plain-jane M94 carbine in 32spl that my Dad gave me when I was 14. The ballistics are very similar to the 30-30. I have had no problems buying brass or bullets for this gun, but there aren't a lot of bullet choices. Maybe Hornady will eventually offer their Leverevolution bullets for this caliber. There is an abundance of information available about this cartridge and the rifles that handle it, but quickly, this cartridge was intoduced by Winchester in 1902 and was always a smokeless powder loading. The most informative book available on this rifle that I've found is by Robert Renneberg and is titled " The Winchester Model 94-The First 100 Years".

Just one question; did your brother give you this rifle as a present or did you have to pay him the $20 back? Enjoy.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Simply a .30-30 necked up to .32 cal. Brass, bullets and reload data should be readily available. With jacketed bullets, I believe you'll be pretty much limited to 170 gr. bullets. Some people say that with handloading you can make the .32 WS "10% more powerful" than the .30-30. Reload data doesn't support that. With the same weight bullet (170 gr), you might get 50 fps more out of the .32 WS. Not enough that any white tail is going to know the difference.

~Michael

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i had a lever action rifle given to me for helping a young man learn how to shoot trap- the kind you see in the movies- rough and the look of a gun thats been "worked"-- i bot some .3030shells and had my big rifle shooting neighbor site it in--- he came back and said enjoy the nostalgai--"its a wall hanger"! cudnt hit a 5 gal. bucket 1 out of 5 shells at 50 yds
    turns out it was a .32 instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Scary that neither of you bothered to look for the caliber markings on the barrel (which probably clearly stated it was a .32) and just assumed it was a .30-30.

~Michael

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

hey michael- i agree about mistaken caliber, but i must have had 12-15 people in my office handle this old rustic , dirty like gun.it has a tainted brownish color, if i took a poll- lever action carbine-------they wud not hestitate with saying- .30.30--- heck i didnt even know there was a .32? as told to me one time--"aim low boys-their riding shetlands"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen a few of the old 30-30s rebored to .32 Special because of a worn or rusted barrel. I believe it was a common practice some years ago. The one I had was still marked 30-30. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn until I figured out that it was rebored and chambered for the 32 Special. I had this epiphany when I checked out some fired shells before reloading them. Did a chamber cast and slugged the bore to verify it. I re-marked the barrel to save future owners some grief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.