1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DomeBuster, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomeBuster

DomeBuster TS Member

The last round I shot, I had a issue with Winchester 209 primers not working. Upon inspection I found that the primer had a normal dent and in a normal/standard location. Has anybody found this to be an issue with Winchester primers or all primers?

2. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I would say that was a bad firing pin. Let me guess, bottom barrel only. Are they reloads? Maybe primer was set too deep..??

3. DomeBuster

DomeBuster TS Member

Remington Sportsman. They were STS reloads. Are you thinking that the primer was seated farther down due to the reload? Has anybody checked to see how much of a 'dent' it takes to ignite a primer? Maybe thats a dumb question but just curious.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

DomeBuster, if your primer had a normal dent in the proper place than it was a defective primer. I should had gone off. It happens now and then with all primers, but not very often with the Win.'s. It probably will not happen again for a very long time. I still have not got a bad Win. AA primer yet (knock wood). I have got a few few off sounding ones with the Nobel Sport primers though. I would not worry about your reloading unless you get more of them, but I don't think that will be a problem. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Win 209. 100,000+ from 1990 to 2009, never a problem. Wayne

6. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

try them again in the other barrel.

7. doberman37

doberman37 Member

Been using Federal primers for over forty years and probably over two hundred thousand fired with out a single bad one untill the last ten thousand I bought and some of them were so hard you couldent set them off with a sledg hammer and a nail.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I'll bet you reloaded a spent primer. Look and see if the primer has been fired.

Don

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- I have done that. I believe primers work best the first time.

Pat Ireland

10. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have done the spent primer, or more likely never popped the old one out at either the beginning when weighing charges or the end when finishing up thing too...

11. petro

petro TS Member

Had 5000 new ones and found 3 that were no good when i put them in the reloading tray. E-mailed winchester and they gave me a number to call to see what the lot no. was and she told me when they were made. They sent me 5.00 to buy new ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.