1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Powder info needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4EVRYOUNG, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I need some help freind just gave me some of his old boxes of supplies and there is a sealed 8lbs keg of AA Plus powder. Any idea of a load for this or should I start a fire with it? Jeff

2. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

In my 15th edition of Winchesters reloading manual the AA Plus and the WST powder uses the same bushing and loads are in the same column. It looks like it will make a good 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce loads. Check out Hodgdons reloading data site. The above address should take you there.

3. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Thank you my web effort not working

4. autogun

autogun Member

pm your email address to me and I will send Winchester's data sheet for AA Plus to you.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Or you can go to Hodgdon.com and get their phone number and talk to a tech working there. Have the lot number of your powder ready just in case. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Pm Sent to autogun and from this Jeff to the other Jeff (Pull&Mark) that is a fine Idea also if the email dont pan out That will be my next step. Jeff

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Win. AA PLus is a faster burning powder than WST. The charge weights are different. In a AA hull with Win. components and 1 oz of shot the starting load is 18 grains of AA PLUS. For 1 1/8 oz of shot and Win. components the starting load is 17.5 grains of AA Plus. HMB

8. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

autogun Thanks got that email and printed today be a good start for me.

9. Pull & Mark

Jeff, does Autogun's old reloaders guide have any loads with the new HS Win. hulls??? Or are you planning to load up only the old style Win. AA hulls!!! Break-em all. JEff

10. autogun

autogun Member

You are welcome. Enjoy the powder. It is an excellent powder. I have loaded a bit more than a hundred pounds of it in new style winchester hulls. The best wad to use is a winchester WAA12SL for ease in loading and consistent results.

Pull and mark: a manufacturer's data sheet is from the manufacturer, actually in this case the entity that puts its name on the powder, and accompanies the powder; it is not an old reloading guide. Winchester long ago announced and put into print that the reloading data for the new hull is the same as that published for the old hull. They should know better than anyone else. That would seem to be particularly true of their own powders. Enjoy.

11. Pull & Mark

autogun, they put that into print long after they stopped making that powder did they not. I just wanted the other Jeff to be safe and check with the people at hodgdon. Other powders over the years have changed up, and are a bit different. Like Red Dot. Hercules and alliant. Well you get the idea. In the old days the Rem's and Win's were interchangeable in loading data. Its not always like that now. It was nice of you to send that info to the other Jeff. Nuff said. Break-em all. Jeff

12. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I am going to load a few in the am and decide if I like them. I do have about 30 gallon of old 1 fired hulls that is the ones I ll start with. Thank you all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are aa wst winchesters the same powder