1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WINCHESTER PAPER HULLS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzimx15, Jul 17, 2013.

1. perazzimx15

perazzimx15 Member

LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PLASTIC WAD IF ANY CAN BE USED IN THIS HULL
    WESTER EXPERT PAPER HULLS, IF NOT HOW CAN THIS HULL BE RELOADER FOR 1 0Z.

2. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Don't use it. Not safe with cheap paper wad.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

They take the Winchester Red wad for 1-1/8. I'm not sure what would handle 1oz. They do have troubles if the inside base wad is soft. On a mec reloader the primer ram can push the base wad over and close the primer hole on the inside. If that happens, you can have misfires.

Good luck,
    Ajax

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Whew! We're going back 50 years here.

As Ajax noted, there is a little cardboard gas seal that sometimes comes loose. You can see it and feel it. Most people didn't worry about them. I stuck my little finger down the hull and if I could feel the seal move I would fish it out with a stout wire hooky thing, and reload that hull with others of its kind. They will have slightly dished crimps, but no worry.

Hull volume is quite a bit less than today's shells. As I recall, the total stack height of the nitro and filler wads was only 5/8" or so. For a one ounce load you might try a hull or two with a 1 1/8 oz. wad, and go from there.

I don't know what the post was about not loading them and not safe. The WW was far and away the most popular target shell for over 30 years, all loaded with fiber wads.

The Winchester/Westerns were certainly the best smelling shells ever.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Paper Super Target, Super Trap and high base Super Field all have a high base fiber wad which under a number of different conditions have a tendency break loose and lodge in the barrel, wad prssure is a major culprit.

Depending on the loader and diameter of its depriming rod, the fiber base wad can be skived by the rod when depriming allowing base wad particles to lodge in the pimer hole creating hang or misfires.

The best treatment to assure the base wad all or in part remains stuck to the bottom of the hull is to use Texas loaders long discontinued heater, sizer, deprimer. This device was made expressly to reconstitute Winchester's fiber base wad to the hull.

If you're willing to take time and care when reloading thses hulls you will end up with a great target load that's soft and breaks targets like no other.

Surfer

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I had visions of chasing WW Papers for my father back in the '50s! LOL