1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 70 Pre 64 or Post 64 ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capt jay, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt jay

capt jay Member

Looking in to a Winchester model 70 375H & H Just what should I be looking for
    in years Pre 64 or a Post 64. Cabela has one Post 64 for $ 900 very nice.
    Just what to do !

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Cap, I own both and pre and post M70's and as far as shooters they both work. There are a bunch of people out there that say the pre guns are more accurate and I do not find it so. The pre Mauser style action is slick as silk and a proven ejection system, the post can be balkie at times but it hasn't caused me any grief.
    Go Well and Laugh Often
    Wayne

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Maybe I am full of crap, but I cannot believe a post 375 model 70 is worth anywhere near $900?! Tom Rhoads

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Wow - at that price for a post 64 model 70, you should buy 3 or 4 of them. In four or five years they might appreciate to $4 to $5 hundred bucks.

5. capt jay

capt jay Member

only going buy what's out there Cabela's web page amd Guun Broker.com $800 is on the low end

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

?? Who the hell is jwells?! Tom Rhoads

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Also decide if you want to spend $900 or $4,000.

8. m70win

m70win Member

I own 2 m70s one is a pre 64 and the other is a m70 classic (which came out around 1994) both have controlled round feeding and mauser style claw ejector. They both are accurate guns (for hunting) and cycle shells well.
    I don't think accuracy is so bad with the post 64 guns but the push feed style action may not be as dependable (especially if your planning on using it for dangerous game).
    Being a magnum action will make it worth a little more, also things like how many 375H&Hs were made,model,and grade.
    But who knows what the price of the post 64 guns will be in the future now that the factory in New Haven is closed.

Tim

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That is just nuts as you can get a Sako used for that kind of money. If you are not hunting stuff that will bite back or tromp you to death it doesn't really matter in the first place. I have a Remington Classic in .375HH and it shoots 3 inch groups at 300 yards and with the break on it it feels like an 30-06. Except it's a 30-06 that shoots 300 grain bullets at 2600 feet a second.Jeff

10. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Want accuracy on Dakota Level?

Buy a Savage with the laminated, not the plastic stock. Box stock, these things are accurate winners.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

375's are not plentiful in M70's. Barrels a very good in most post 64 guns, except maybe the very latest production.

I would do some shopping, because that is kind of high. If it's the only one around it's worth whatever you have to pay.

HM

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Need to ask a question??...what is it you are truly wanting???...A big winchester? or just a 375 of some kind?...I just got one of the new Ruger 375 Ruger M77 African...More powerful than the H&H with less powder and is a standard long action ('06 length)...It shoots terrific..1"@100yds with all the cuurent Hornady factory loads and I have not started playing on the reloading bench yet...I got mine for $700 so if you want a good dependable big bore bear gun or something to take to the dark continent, I recommend this one highly

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

CalvinMD, You are getting an inch with factory ammo? That's great! I wonder how tite those groups will get with a good hand load. Jeff

14. Gary Waalkes

I admit being away from the rifle world for a while but I still cannot understand that a 500 dollar gun in 2000 is now 900 or more. Is this shooting value or some kind of bizzare collector value? If an old but post 64 model 70 is now worth the better part of a grand, how much is a real model 54 ser 1966 worth.
    [​IMG]

15. Gary Waalkes

another view

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jeff ..I don't know if they will get tighter...they will at least be cheaper...factory ammo for that beast is close to 50 smackers shipped with the premium bullets...but they are definantly faster than the H&H guns

17. capt jay

capt jay Member

Your model 54 30/06 going for $ 1,000 to $ 1,300.00

18. Gary Waalkes

Capt Jay, as I disclosed, I have been away from the gun show, gun value market for only several years. Clearly I do not understand what has driven prices up in the last 6 or 7 years. Gunbroker currently has a pre-64 in 375 and the bid is only up to $1,425. Lots of pictures, gun looks good. If my mind was set on a model 70 win in 375, I would get involved in the gunbroker one before paying 900 for a post 64 model.

19. Gary Waalkes

Only a few minutes left on that gun Capt. jay, there is a 300 H&H there also and it runs till tomorrow.

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Acme of bolt guns is the controlled feed action with a three position safety.

For looks, feel, and dependability, they cannot be beat. As far as accuracy, my bone stock (except for a little trigger work) Ruger MK II All Weather 308 will shoot 1/2 MOA all day with good ammo. Ugly stock and all!

I have come to prefer the Ruger. I have acquired a taste for the looks and like the integral rings. I am not crazy about their handguns or shotguns, but the center fire bolt guns and the single shot are classy, practical firearms. I may own a shotgun that cost as much as a small condo, but consider rifles and sidearms utility tools. YMMV

As far as big bores shooting well, most big bores are bell ringers. It is easier to accurately make a big bore barrel. Most 375's will shoot sub MOA groups, recoil and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.