1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 70 in 225 win. questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by musky, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musky

musky TS Member

I have a winchester model 70 in 225 win caliber made in 1971 or 72. Very nice gun in 90% condition. Dont know anything about this caliber so i wanted to ask you guys. Wondering how good a round it is and what kind of value as i may want to sell it.Thanks for any help. Larry.

2. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Specs real cose to 22/250. Factory ammo hard to find and
    somewhat hi. Will let an expert advise U on price of rifle.

Doyal

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The 225 is a factory version of the 219 zipper

It was based on the 22/30-30, for the 225 the rim was cut down so that it is the same measurement as the standard 30-06,308, 7MM mauser etc.........

the 225 will give really close to the same velocity as the 22-250

And for the shooters I know that shoot them it is a top performer in the 22 center fires

Go with a 55 grain bullet,

I know it will draw some flak but.................

Anything that walks in North America has been taken with 22 centerfires. The results of a good hit with a 55 grain spitzer is amazing even scary.

At the velocities that the 225 winchester 55 grain bullet travel a small twig will make the bullet dissentagrate. So even in light cover areas you really have to picky with shot choices.

AL

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Larry, Should you decide to sell please let me know. PM or e-mail.

5. pfofml

pfofml Member

I have a Md 70 that started its life as a 225 Win. Using factory ammo it would not hold a group of less than 4" at 100 yds after 5 rounds. Sent it back to Winchester and they replaced the standard barrel with a bull barrel. Took it back to the bench and it preformed the same as the first barrel. Replaced that barrel with a Douglas in 22 250 Rem. Still shoot that gun.
    Peter

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I shoot a 225 AI in a TC Encore.

Out shoots any of the 22 calibers I've owned over the years.

Nothing wrong with the caliber, just couldn't compete with "fads" in the shooting world.

I reload, so finding plenty of ammo has been no problem. Brass is easy to fine and still made.

Just another of the "overlooked" rounds out there.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

While my first choice will always be one of my Swifts when going after crows or whistle pigs, I still quite often opt for one of my .225s. I have 5 .225 Winchester caliber rifles, all three of the Winchester models, one Savage 340, and a custom on a Czech wartime Mauser G-33 action. They all, except the Savage, steadily put 3 shots (I shoot only 3-shot groups) into 3/4" or slightly less when the shooter, me, does his part. The Savage might do this also but it is cursed with the usual abominable Savage 340 trigger, hop-skip-jump and finally fire. The bullet I have found to be consistently best in all of my .225s is the Sierra 53 grain FB, loaded in front of several different powders (NOT in the same load), to just under maximum. For powder choices, follow Nosler's capacity guides. I have found in the 46 years that I have been reloading that loading density is often quite critical and I load the .225s to 85% or more but never compressed. The .225 is simply the Winchester version of the .219 Zipper Improved with the rim altered to fit a .30-06 bolt face and to reduce feeding and ejection problems. Reloading is simple and straight-forward with no unusual problems. Case necks will stretch with shooting max or near max loads so check them regularly. Winchester rifles in .225 vary widely in prices. Log into Gunbroker.com and put .225 into the search window and search. Then put 225 (no decimal point) into the window and search, then look at the bids made, not the asking price. You'll find that people are asking ridiculaous prices for the rifles and of course are getting no bids and most of the rifles go unsold. The HB rifles are the most valuable with the sporter (22") bsrrel next. The real sleeper is the 670. They made very few of these in .225 and one day the Winchester collectors are going to wake up and start scrambling for one if they want to have a complete Winchester colletion.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My dad shot a model 70 225Win that was pretty accurate and I shot my later model in 22/250...hardly any difference to note except he had to cobble up his ammo and mine shot factory Remington that our local dept store sold at that time for 4.99 a box and $3.99 on after season sales....and yes the 55gr CoreLokt did just fine on more than a few puny Md Whitetails

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I shot two deer with a 22-250 and they both went down like you jerked every bone out of their body!

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That was my experience too..as long as you dont go taking less than ideal shot presentations it does great...same thing with 243's with 80 and 85gr bullets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 70 winchester 225 caliber
winchester model 70 225
winchester model 70 225 caliber
winchester model 70 225 for sale
winchester model 70 225 rifle for sale

winchester model 70 225 sale

winchester model 70 225 win

winchester model 70 225 win value