1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Winchester Model 50 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Here's a couple pictures of the pigeon grade receiver.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea what a great one would sell for.

Hap
  2. Rusty12

Rusty12 Member

Not all 50 receivers were engraved this nicely. I had one that only said "Pigeon" on the bottom of the receiver. It had high grade wood and the checkering was different too, at least as nice as the trap grade model 50's. The pigeon grade stock dimensions can be different from the field guns as well. The one I had was stocked with a very narrow wrist. I believe you could custom order these from Winchester at the time with whatever stock dimensions you wanted. I don't know if any lightweight model 50 pigeons were made, although they probably were. I know they made a pigeon grade model 59 with the same lightweight receiver.
    Mark
  3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The 50 has the word pigeon rather than the ebgraved bird that M12's have. Many years ago I ordered a used M50 pigeon out of the Shotgun News from a dealer. It didn't take long to realize it was a fake as it said pidgeon instead of pigeon! Unbelievable!
  4. Hap MecTweaks

Hitapair, ya gotta watch out for those Mexican chickens too! On model 12s. Hap
  5. P.Muerrle

P.Muerrle TS Member

Winchester Model 50 pigeon grades did not necessarily have engraved receivers. What they should have is a jeweled bolt and carrier, fantastic grain in the wood, pigeon grade checkering pattern or an "A" or "B" carved set of wood. The action should be very smooth as pigeon grade internals were all hand polished. Obviously if the gun is well used this may no longer be the case.
  6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Never saw a 50 with an aluminum receiver.
  7. Hap MecTweaks

Barry, I have one, wanna see it? Hap
  8. Barry C. Roach

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Barry, Its an alloy on their lightweight model. Not sure its AL. My lightweight 50 is my son's favorite gun to grab when he's going pheasant hunting and expects to walk most of the day.
  10. Hap MecTweaks

Here's a pic of my lightweight with wood I bought from Hitapair on it. It looks just like my standard steel receiver model 50 does.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=model50005.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hitapair, from all I've read, it is an aluminum alloyed receiver for reduced weight.

Hap
  11. Barry C. Roach

I'll be derned.
  12. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

In response to the questions about M50's. I have collected 20+ M50's and M59's. The M50 was made in 12ga in Trap, Skeet and Field configurations. The 12ga was made with a all metal frame as well as a aluminum "light weight" frame. As stated above the pigeon's had higher grade wood, machined turned bolts and carriers. 20ga's were also made. I do not believe there were many factory engraved M50's. I have one that looks to be factory engraved, (which I do not believe the one Hap is showing is since it appears to be more elaborate). Model 59's were all roll stamped outdoor scenes on aluminum frames and the trigger assembly had a aluminum frame as well. The 59 also has a fiberglass barrel (a steel tube wound with fiberglass tape). They were also made with (I think) the very first vented or sloted screw-in choke, called a Versalite choke in different constrictions. I have switched parts to make 50/59 composites ( M50 stock, forearm wood and barrel onto 59 actions and also the other way, since all the rest of the parts are interchangeable. Fun guns to play with and shoot. Many shooters just don't know much about them.
  13. Hap MecTweaks

Clayscoach, I found the pics I posted above when I went searching for a pigeon model 50. The way Winchester's custom shop operated, I can't say it wasn't done in the custom shot via special order. It was advertised as a pigeon grade though?

I hunt with a 59 with a 26 inch screw choked tubed barrel. I think Winchester said over 500 miles of fiberglass thread was wound around the stainless steel barrel tube when manufactured. The 59 was the first production shotgun available with screw in tubes too. Like you, I've made the necessary changes to use parts from either model on some of mine also. I do have a steel 24 inch rifle sighted slug barrel and an extra 26 inch fiberglass imp/cyl barrel to play with.

These shotguns seem to have less "felt" recoil than other semi-autos I own too! Have you noticed that with your's also? I guess your aware of how to keep these guns properly timed? Out of time and continue shooting them will definitely crack both the alloyed and steel receivers!!

Hap
  14. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

my son inherited one from his grandfather. He shot it for the 1st time yesterday. Did well with it. Is this gun okay "durable" enough for trap and skeet. The gun has both the IC and Full choke barrels. It was really gummed up with old grease and oil. After cleaning it, it seems a lot smoother. Just curious as to whether this gum should be put up for sentimentality or if it will be great for shooting clays.
  15. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

I on occation shoot some of my M50's and M59's and these are very soft shooting, durable and reliable guns. The full choke barrels will smoke a 27yrd. target. The old barrels of M12, Rem. 31 etc. have great chokes. I have made some modifications to get them better balanced and set up the way I like my competition guns. I have hopefully included a couple of pictures of my engraved Pigeon M50 and a picture of a M59 Versalite choke.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

truly beautiful guns. My son's is the plain version, but will enjoy attempting to dust clays at 16 for a while. I think he likes this gun a little more than his Mossy 500 since it kicks less. Thanks for the info
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester m50 with high grade wood

winchester model 50 for sale