1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 50

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have a nice Model 50 trap that has one annoying problem. I use it for sporting clays. About 1 out of 5 times it doesn't fully eject the spent hull. It kind of "stovepipes" and of course this keeps the 2nd shell from feeding up into the chamber. What could cause this? The gun is clean, so I don't feel that dirt is an issue. Thanks. Ed

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Gun could be out of time... could have crud in the recoil tube.. Unless you have a stock wrench.. you'll have a hard time taking it all apart... Binding in the rails.. A host of little things.. assuming your shells are the correct power for the spring.. How far does it normally eject the empty sherlls???

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

When it does eject the shells, they fly quite far. I had Phil Crenwelge weld a deflector "knob" on the barrel extension when he converted the gun to a release trigger. I know Phil had the gun apart to perform the trigger conversion. My Super X-1 has no problems ejecting the same reloads. (17 grains Promo-1 oz shot-Fiocchi primer).

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You do not want a Model 50 to throw the shells more than 6 or 7 feet.. Anymore and you're pounding the receiver.. A new recoil spring should be installed for that.. Wolfe can supply the spring.. I've never had a problem with any shell.. but I hone my chambers in my lathe when I rebuild them.. I have seen the bolt "dogs" worn to a point that they can grab.. and that could cause a problem.. Shooting them with dry rails can wear the rails and dogs very quicky.. Phillip is on excellent gunsmith.. and if you are close to him I'm sure he can quickly either fix what you have.. or tell you your receiver is dead..(yes.. it does happen).. If needed..I still have alot of model 50 parts in stock.. I use to rebuild them for the field shooters down here..Doug is also well versed in model 50's as is Stu Wright.. Whoever is the closes.. I'd have take a look at it.. If you are close to New Orleans.. I'm happy to take a peak at it.. or bring it to the "Grand".. I'll be there..just stop in a Giacomo's.. All Good.. Mike By the way.. you can make a stock wrench out of a piece of waterpipe.. with the aid of a hacksaw and file.. 12 and 20 gauge is 2 different sizes.. If you need a picture.. send me a E-mail and I'll show you what one looks like..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how far does a winchester model 50 eject empty shells

winchester 50 shell stop