1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 50

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cdan12, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

I just bought a model 50 trap shotgun,30 inch full choke,high grade wood with monte carlo stock,even has a doughnut vent rib, have not shot it yet, does anyone have experience with this model? what should I expect in the way of problems,it want be a full time shooter,just a collector. Thanks Dan Witcher

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I hate to see you get stuck with that relic, Dan.....better just bring it over and I'll dispose of it for you....in my safe!!!

Ken Rucker

3. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

Thanks Ken

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Anytime, Buddy!!!...LOL!!!

Ken

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

These are very soft shooting, butt heavy guns. They shoot kinda flat, but have good barrels and chokes and smoke 'em like a M12. Keep the floating chamber clean and they are very reliable. Scrub it up good every flat of shells ot so and you'll be fine. Enjoy!!!

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have one that my Dad bought brand spanking new in 1950 and it is not for sale. Be sure to keep the gun in time by tightening the spring in the stock just enough so that the bolt will stay open when you pull the operating handle rearward. Do this by slowly turning the screw until it will not stay open and then back off about 1/8 turn. This procedure will prevent damage to your receiver from the bolt slamming too hard against it. Hap can explain this better than I have done.

7. marotta

marotta Member

Dan,

I started shooting trap with a model 50. It’s a soft shooter, points like a model 12, just that the auto mechanism makes it a little heavier. I used to get complaints from other shooters about the hulls ejecting into their line of fire, they would almost always hit the adjacent shooter. I needed a shell catcher, and none were available, so I made my own using a .010 feeler gauge slipped in between the receiver and the chamber.

All complaints ended after that. Broke my first 25 with it.

I bought a new winchester trap stock for it from Numrich gun parts in West Hurley, NY., and it made it look and feel great.

It is part of my Gun collection now, like the model 12.

Winchester model 12 and model 50 were made to military specs and are considered to be 2 of the best trap guns of all time.

Raffaele

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Getting better as the night goes on! Tom Rhoads

9. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

thanks everyone for your help,does the feeler gauge go on the top of the bolt ?

10. marotta

marotta Member

Yes, at the top, in between the receiver and the chamber.

Raffaele

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'm trying to locate a a small enough diamond tip drill bit to install a piano wire catcher in the floating chamber on my model 50. So far, not much luck in finding one locally. For a temporary catcher, I used a small tapered piece of oak wood epoxied to the receiver rail at the top side. It catches and holds the spent hull, how long it will hold up, I have no idea but it does work.

If you don't know how old your recoil spring is, order one of Wolf's heavy duty recoil springs, they are great. Like Mike TMX said, keep these guns timed properly, they will last forever. The simplicity of the action make these shotguns extremely quick on cycling shells, probably as quick or possibly quicker than the advertised quickest available. Very soft on recoil too, probably due to the weight of the recoil rod in the stock, very heavy duty.

The first sign a gun is out of time is when its throwing hulls farther than 6-8 feet away from the gun. Two fixes for this, first is timing it properly, second is shortening the over-all length of the ejector rod so it won't hit the hull base too hard on ejecting. I don't recommend attempting that second procedure unless your pretty handy and patient. It's critical that it be done in very small increments after its timed and shot after each filing. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to install the floating chamber on a winchester model 50
recoil of winchester model 50
what shell catcher tomuse on a winchester model 50
winchester model 50

winchester model 50 problems

winchester model 50 recoil spring for sale
winchester model 50 shell catcher
winchester model 50 wolf recoil spring