1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Winchester Model 50 ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

They are great shotguns! The key to longevity with these model 50s and the 59s is keeping them properly timed. Parts are still available and most will interchange between the two models. The best action springs I've found were available thru Wolf Springs, even better than original Winchester springs! These guns are quick operating, less than an 1/8th inch of bolt back movement operates the action. I can put three hulls in the air at the same time dancing a tin can thru the air with mine. Never timed it but the action is QUICK for the second and third shot!! The heavy recoil rod seems to help a bunch with felt recoil also. Guns getting out of time and cracking the receivers ruined the reputation of this fine gun, some smiths didn't know how to either. That was Winchesters fault for not keeping them abreast of that important step! Kept timed properly, it will keep pace with the Benelli(sp) for those three shots, may even be a tad quicker. Hap

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have some of the tubes for a 59 barrel,

My M50 brushes are mixed, when the work they are great, when they don't well....

After the AA came out the one I know best got put away, find the bird or find the hull, finding the hull was a challange in it's self.

AL

3. Hap MecTweaks

AL, those guns throwing a hull outa sight is a sure sign it's outa time my friend! Next time I'm over, I'll show you how to properly time it. I'd like to see the tubes you have also? I modified a 50 to accept the 26 inch tubed barrel and forend from an old 59 that I trashed. Email me if you want to sell those tubes? Hap

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I just read a post somewhere about these guns. As I remember the post, the gun was designed by "Carbine" Williams. He said it was the hardest project he ever did. Everything went wrong.

BTW - Timings off? Wazzat mean?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

what would a 59 in 90% be worth? Saw one @ a local shop the other day for $450. Neat gun, and LIGHT, that fiberglass barrel and alloy receiver make the gun seem to be around 7 lbs.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Heres a pic of one of my mod.50s. Sure is a sweet shooting gun!

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hap

7. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Hap the Mod 50 has been pushed so far back that it hasn't seen the light of day in 30 or 40 years, I am not sure my mom would let me dig for it.

The choke tubes I will see what box I put them in and get in touch.

AL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester model 50 felt recoil