1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester model 50 any good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just came up for sale. I have not seen yet. Are they any good. wants 150.00 ?

2. gunut

gunut TS Member

keep the chamber clean, keep the recoil spring adjusted [in butt stock], stay with non magnum shells....and ya should be fine...

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

12g I dont know will be checking it out Sat.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They are really sweet guns..trap models are very rare

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My experience is that they sound a little like a tractor operating for that brief moment when firing but they are a really good ol' gun. I know one fellow that could buy all the expensive guns he wants but owns several 50s and shoots them at 5 stand, sporting, skeet and trap all socially - that's when he's not on an African safari....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As gunut said, keeping these guns timed is very important! I have a featherweight model, a steel receiver model and a model 59 with the Win-Lite choke tubed barrel. The 59 is my all time favorite upland gun and both models are quick as greased lightning in cycling in new shells for follow-up shots.

At that price, the parts alone are worth more! Hap

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

The triggers are not great. The gun has a "floating chamber". The chamber is not part of the barrel. I had my chamber chromed to prevent rust but you still have to clean the bbl. often. The gun itself is flat shooting. If not tampered with, the trap barrels are great, I used mine on pigeons and they never died any quicker.

8. james25889

james25889 Member

definatly worth 150, i have a 50 and a 59

9. Hap MecTweaks

John, couldn't the same be said for the majority of shotguns? Including some from the top favorites in the trapgun world? I think so.

"The triggers are not great."

The triggers on these guns can be re-worked easier than most other models of shotguns I've worked on. Your idea of chroming the floating chamber is a great idea too! Some mole-skin on the comb will help with the flat shooting part if one wants it to shoot a tad higher. Hap

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a Model 50 field gun with a 30" Full choke vent rib barrel and a 28" Imp Cyl barrel. My Dad bought it brand new in the 50's and I ran the butt stock through the buzz saw and laminated a block of walnut to it to make a high comb Trap Stock. It is Not for sale!

11. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Mac, they are junk!! Whatever you do, don't buy it!! By the way, what is the phone number where it is?

Ken Rucker

12. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

If anyone is interested, I have a nice Mod 50. Two barrels 28" and skeet with Cutts. $225 takes it.

13. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Don....you have mail!!

Ken

14. Hap MecTweaks

RUCK!!!!!!!!!! U oughta be playin beaver on sumwuns wood er sumthin stead of watchin this thread!! :) Hap

15. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

LOL!! I'm "beaverin'" on several....but I get a break occasionally, sometimes at just the right time!!

Ken

16. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Nobody mentioned the recoil. They are soft shooters. If anyone interested I have a complete lightweight receiver and a 28" vent rib with a polychoke for sale. You can email me. Mike.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I looked at AM. gun is in poor shape, very rudted pitted bore. wood is soft and swollen. He plans on trading it in at next gun show?????? It was rough. Been sitting in basement for many years in case. Case was dry rotted to hell zipper was rusted frozen. He pulled it out through a cut in rear of case. Little pissed I drove to see this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is the winchester 50 good for trap
winchester 50 shotgun any good
winchester model 50 good for trap

winchester model 50 recoil spring