Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester Model 24 advice

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  squirrelkiller 
#1 ·
Got Blue Book, don't need price. What is the good, bad and ugly about the gun? Any hidden problems? Poor mans Model 21?

Thanks,

Rod

#4 ·
Seem to be valued higher than the workmanship warrants. It is/was an attempt by Winchester to produce a domestic double at a low price. It is virtually a pair of 37s joined together. Solid. Real walnut. Blue steel. Everything I think a double should be except graceful. I've had three and traded each and every one away for a. An Ithaca SKB 100, b. An AYA 20, and a c. Stevens 5100 20. Each one a better fit for me than the Winchester. (I do like old Winchesters..don't get me wrong.)

#5 ·
I bought a clunker Model 24 with the barrels cut to 18" for $79. Later found a set of well thrashed 30" mod/full barrels for $10 at a gun show. Used it for years for cowboy shoots.<br>
<br>
I did modify the triggers. It was clumsy having to remove your finger then reinsert it for the rear trigger. This slowed down the second shot in cowboy shoots. So I took the gun apart and reversed positions of the triggers. Now I can wipe across the first trigger and then hit the second trigger. Of course, this also reversed the firing order of the barrels, which means the full now fires before the mod. But I'm not using this for hunting, so it made little difference to me.<br>
<br>
I've heard two schools of thought about the Model 24. It is either the worst piece of crap Winchester ever made and the springs and firing pins won't last and the hinge and release prematurely wear out, or it is quality all out of proportion to its price. I suspect the truth is a blend of the two. Mine has never given me any trouble, and it has been beaten up pretty well and tossed in the back of a pickup. I do not baby this gun.<br>
<br>
BTW, with the 18" cylinder bore barrels it didn't do too badly at singles with small shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.