1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 22 SxS Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Winchester-nix, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winchester-nix

Winchester-nix TS Member

I have a delightful Winchester Model 22 SxS Shotgun which was made in Spain for the European Market in 1975-1976. It has a pistol grip stock (although I have seen an English stock) and two triggers.

I shoot it regularly but I now have a problem I need help with. The firing pins have had their points broken off by the repeated opening and closing of the gun, to the extent that the right barrel does not fire 4 out of 5 times, but the left barrel is still firing OK.
    Our local gunsmiths (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) are not familiar with the model, and I have tried the original factory, Winchester USA and some prominent gun dealers in the USA for at least a Schematic of the action to give the local gunsmith.

The firing pins are held in by buttons and I am having a tool made to unscrew them to take the pins out. There has to be a reason why this has occurred, and I want to look before handing the gun over for repair.

Ideally I would like a manual and Winchester made firing pins.

Some photos are attached.

winchesternix_2012_22102.jpg

winchesternix_2012_22101.jpg

winchesternix_2012_2210.jpg

Please advise if you have any information to help.

Sincerely

2. highway

highway Member

Sir:

You might try talking to some of the gentlemen on the "Spanish Gun Forum" which is a sub-forum of Shotgun World Forums.

Roger

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

These guns were made by Laurona in Spain. I believe they are still in business.

4. Winchester-nix

Winchester-nix TS Member

Thank you all for replying

I have tried Winchester, Western Gun Parts, Laurona, and even some gun shops in England all without success. They are nothing like the Models 21, 23 or 24.
    I will have photos posted so you can see the problem. We made a tool to undo the firing pin buttons using 2 mm drill bits but they snapped - we will try again with less brittle steel - at least I have the pitch circle right.

I will try the "Spanish Gun Forum".

Regards

5. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

looks like your firing pins are not retracting. check a fired shell. is there a scratch from center of dead primer to the edge of the brass?
    or, the firing pin holes got too big which allowed your pins to travel too far forward.

6. Winchester-nix

Winchester-nix TS Member

I tried the Spansish Gun Forum, and found four posts all about firing pin problems, but no help. I am getting a tool made to remove the firing pin buttons. The first attempt was slightly out and we snapped the prongs as we used drill bit shanks.
    I will now post on the Spanish Guns and see what happens - waiting for registration.

7. Winchester-nix

Winchester-nix TS Member

For Bobski, Thanks. I think you are right, and that is why I want the schematic, or better still be able to get parts before I give it to my gunsmith, who has not seen this model before.

I got a reply from an english gunsmith, and will now try spanish ones. I am happy to pay - I just want to get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester european 22 shotgun
winchester mod 22 shot gun
winchester model 22

winchester model 22 shotgun

winchester model 22 sxs
winchester model 22 sxs 12ga shotgun 1975
winchester shotgun model 22
winchester sxs shot gun model 22