1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 21 stories..................

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by little gambler, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Looking for anyone who has had a Winchester model 21 re-ribbed. Horror stories ok. Other whore stories ok also, but on a serious note I am looking out there at building up a 21 for flyers, and am curious about taking a field gun and having it re-ribbed by Simmons with a ½” at the back tapering to ¼” at the front. Has anyone ever built up a side by side like this??????? I’ve got a “Duck gun” but the 32’s are way too heavy and long, and they don’t shoot as high as I’d like them to. Thanks l.g.

2. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Give Keen site a call and see if they can do anything for you - it would be less expensive and you could take it off if not liked
    J Mroczka

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

With m21's bringing big money, I wouldn't want to make a permanent alteration like that unless money is no object for you.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a 30" Duck is going to be too heavy for Flyers unless your a big guy. Weight would help on recoil, but those guns were built for a diff. purpose.
    Their stocks are normally short (13 3/4" - 14") for extra clothing in cold weather, and the barrels are really thick at the chamber. I found them to be a little odd on the balance. But if you shoot it good, go for it! If you raise the rib, be prepared to cut the stock for an adjustible comb, or build new wood, unless you know it will work.
    I tried my 21 trap on live pigeons, and shot it well, but the recoil was not tolerable.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Setterman- I custom stocked and engraved a nice M-21 and shot 25 pair of doubles with the fine gun. Your statement "the recoil was not tolerable" does not adequately describe what that gun felt like to me. The recoil was somewhere between unbearable pain and dangerous torture.

Pat Ireland

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I agree with hitapair.

Find something cheaper you can shoot pigeons with.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Pat, I would have said the same thing, but I didn't want to sound like a recoil wussy (which I am). At least your honest. I dearly love the gun ( new wood, engraved, briley chokes, etc), but even 1oz loads are marginal.

8. little gambler

Thanks for the info, but I am fully aware that a 21 will knock teeth loose and etc with it's recoil. Here is a pic of my Duck 21 with a trap buttstock that I have cut and padded on it. I've shot it for a little trap. Cutting wood, building wood, does not bother me as I am prepared to spend a little to get it going in the right direction, I'm curious to see if anyone has ever built up a gun like this in the past. I have seen one custom factory 21 with a high rib in the Winchesters best 21 book....... Thanks for the input. l.g.

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i once had a model 21 that had rib added as you describe and that gun did not shoot either barrel at the aiming point. the impact points were way apart horizontally making the gun impossible to hit with.(the barrels had been taken apart when the rib was added) don't spend money on your gun to make it worth a lot less.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rick, Just buy a Fabbri and be done with it. Or a Sx-1. Jeff

11. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Winchester 21s kick? What is it with you wussies? One of the friends I often shot with was a little bitty gal, maybe 4'11". She shot a 5-barrel 21 exclusvely, 4 gages at skeet, and a 30" F/F at birds. She shot 1-1/4 oz loads in it all day long at birds until she was well into her seventies.

12. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Oh yeah. My little ole lady friend ordered her 5-barrel Grand American from the Winchester custom shop in the 1950s. She told me it was $3500. She sold it back in the late 1990s, to a dealer, and well used, for $50K.

13. Winchester M21

Winchester M21 Member

Little Gambler

Find you a nice factory vent rib TRAP 21 and have you a stock made that will fit you and will shoot your desired POI. The 21's are caddilac's! I shoot a lot of sporting clays with a vent rib skeet with 3 dram 1 1/8 loads with no problems, if you get it to fit it shouldn't hurt you.

Shawn Massey

14. little gambler

Jeff, seems the best Fabbri deal on the net is the one above........ However that is about 15 years worth of apple crops...... LOL.

Thanks for the info guys. Now to find a bargin priced 21 that some high end dealer has not scooped up.........the hunt begins!!!!!!!!! l.g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does anyone made winchester model 21 barrels

winchester21trap skeet