1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 21 for trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Realize that everyone uses an over/under for trap these days and am not suggesting that the over/under is not the winning formula.

But if one wants to shoot a side-by-side for trap for nostalgia or other unexplainable reasons...

How would you rank the commonly available side-by-sides available on both the used and new markets ?

Would a trap grade Winchester Model 21 with monte carlo stock and 32-inch barrels be near the top ?

What others should be considered ?

Don't intend to modify the stock in any way that would loose the original overall look. Though stock bending would be acceptable.

2. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot my first registered scores with a Model 21. Charlie Henderson

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Make sure your dental records are up to date.

4. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Setterman, boy thats for sure! Then there is the day when it doubles, That a get your attention.

Sportalluring

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

I wouldn't know why not, assuming one figures out where it is shooting. I have shot trap with L C Smith and Ithaca doubles without too many problems. Many will kick pretty hard, especially if they have a lot of drop in the stock.

6. rdf59

rdf59 Member

For nostalgia reasons, I shot my Model 21 Trap (FxF) at the Grand American in 2009 for one of the 16 yard events. I was in the 90's but I think it may have only been 92-93 range.

I also shot it in one event at Bostic NC at the NC State. That, too, was in the low 90's. It doesn't shoot as well for me as my Guerini unsingle.

I know my Dad was looking down on me and happy to see his gun being used at such top notch shoots. Since I'm in my 70's I date back to the time of manufacture of the gun. I still shoot it some.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

You're right on the money Setterman....I loved shooting mine...just not alot and not very often....now some other lucky soul is enjoying the pleasure/pain of shooting it...

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've wanted one for years! Then I go out and shoot one and the urge goes away for several years.

9. ljutic73

Bingo, Joe!!

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I shoot a double for giggles pretty often. I ran a 97 at the Vintager's national shoot several years ago with a LC Smith that I picked up off a used guns sale table, and had the top score. If you have never shot a double much I would advise a few things. Get a single trigger if you can. The long trigger guard for a double trigget will eat your "social" finger up. Kick is definitely a bugger but load reduction can help this. There is not a double on the currenty market that will take the punishment of a lot of shooting but a 21, while it is a very good choice, is not absolutely necessary. A good LC Smith, Parkere, or my personal favorite, AH Fox will work just as well and hold up just as well. If you will go to the better gun sales houses, like Steve Barnett's Fine Guns, Drury,s and a few more, from time to time time they will turn up a good old double that was used for live birds and have barrel and trigger work. These make EXCELLENT choices.
    They are fun and everybody will look at you like you have a third eye! I shoot a hammer double with black powder too and that is even more fun!

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How did all those old timers shoot these double barreled guns with 1-1/4 ounce loads? I'd think a fit stock would be high on the priority list of things necessary to shoot one of these guns consistently!

Hap

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I shoot my Ithaca at doubles on a regular basis. Shoot 1 oz. 16.4 red dot. Nice light load, recoil not a problem. Bill

13. ljutic73

Hap..that and the fact they were tougher than hell...

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They are flat shooting SOBs, kick, and usually stocked too low, but are an eye-catcher.
    setterman_2008_030389.jpg

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I often shoot a Husky underlever hammer gun.. 34" F/F choke.. What a blast.. I load 24 gram with 18 grains of Promo with DRXXL wad in AA hulls.. I've shot 500 round matches with it.. Not a problem... Stay away from stiff loads..have a stock that fits.. and have fun..

16. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

FYI,
    A side x side is THE GUN GOD intended for man to shoot,if he had wanted us to shoot an over & under he would have stacked our eye balls LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards,

Cheetah

17. ljutic73

CHEETAH...YOU MADE ME LAUGH!!...GOOD ONE!!

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The BEST gun for boxbirds, if you can stand it!

19. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

You find the SXS, I'll shoot the birds Uncle Joe!

rk

20. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would be curious if anyone here has experience with the Beretta 471 Silverhawk SxS, in any of the competitive shotgun events...trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc. If so, how did it hold up? Was the recoil manageable? How did it perform for you?

The Beretta 471 seems like a well made and sturdy side-by-side shotgun. I have never fired one, but I have been ogling one recently...

bluedsteel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ah fox trap gun steve crothers
model 21 win trap grade
winchester 21 trap
winchester model 21 for sale

winchester model 21 trap

winchester model 21 trap grade
winchester model 21trap