1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Winchester Model 1911 S.L.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flylta13, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta13

flylta13 TS Member

A friend of mine gave me his Winchester Model 1911 S.L. to find out what it is worth. He has owned this fine piece for over 70 years but is getting to the age when he feels it is more of a threat to him to keep it in his home. I want to find out what a fair price for this is, the stock is not split as I have heard is common on these, it does need a new recoil pad. I have not shot it yet but that is coming soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Active Member

I don't know anything about these but I always like to look at shotguns.

Try using the "macro" setting on your camera for clearer close up pictures.

3. flylta13

flylta13 TS Member

These were taken with my phone so I could get some ideas. I will get better pics up tomorrow after work.

It is a piece of shooting history that I hope to make my own.

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

My Dad had one of them, briefly. He worked on it all summer and the first day of bird season he cut down on a pheasant and it unloaded itself. He said the last shot went straight up. I think that was the day he bought a used 4E Ithaca.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Active Member

My father had one. The gun is known as "the widow maker" because of the way it loads the first shell. It is necessary to grasp the barrel and pull it back with sufficient force to move the breech block all the way to the rear. It has no bolt handle to avoid violating the patents held by John Browning. It frequently malfunctioned failing to eject and load a new shell. To me being a kid, it killed at one end and crippled at the other. the Blue Book I have copyrighted 2006 lists $200 in 60% condition and $500 in 95% condition.

6. JRW

JRW Member

As you can tell by the sign on I am a fan of the 1911sl. I have the one my grandfather bought new in the 20's. I also have 5 others. I have one that shoots all 5 just as fast as it can it stays in the house not to be used. The most I have paid is 200.00. Jerry in MI.

7. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Be VERY carefull these guns were made before they was a 2 3/4 inch shell,mine has only a 2 1/2 inch chamber.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I gotta get new glasses I thought it was a 1911 Super Light 45 pistol.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

ou 3200.. You are correct they calling it the widow maker.. for those who cocked the barrel on the ground..pushing the barrel down.. loaded.. a bad sear would often cause a discharge.. If the barrel was aimed at your head.. and you were married.. WIDOW MAKER

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you shoot it Use light loads and try 2 shells I have seen them chain fire. Also check the bolt as it opens that it dont bind the top of the barrel extention I have 2 parts guns that the extention is broke in half. If you need any parts let me know

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

#1 GET OK FROM GUNSMITH BEFORE FIRING, USE CORRECT AMMO

#2 NO HEAVY LOADS

#3 WATCH MUZZLE DIRECTION WHEN LOADING

#4 LOAD TWO SHELLS WHEN TESTING FIREARM

#5 HANG ON WALL

12. flylta13

flylta13 TS Member

Thank You everyone for the info. This buddy of mine, I'll pay for a "wall hanger" it is an amazing piece of shooting history and he is an amazing man of God. Pastored his entire life and hunted birds with the "Widow Maker" since he was a kid. He has owned it since it was new.

Thanks Everyone. I have missed my time here....flylta

Break'em if you can but if not HAVE FUN!

Shot 5 stand for the first time 2 weeks ago and hit 3 out a 25 it was a blast got to 14 after 3 rounds! WOW, alot different than TRAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 1911 sl
winchester 1911 recoil pad

winchester model 1911 sl