1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 12

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by centex, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centex

centex TS Member

Need an expert.
    Can someone tell me the size and thread pitch for the firing pin retaining screw in the breech bolt. I was told it was a 5-44 but the tap won’t go through the clearance hole without drilling it larger. Wanted a second opinion before I did that. Jim Harris remove the x's

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am thinking 3/56 thread, for the screw thread size in the bolt. Somehow that sounds a little small. Take the bolt to your local Hdw. store that stocks loose taps and check it out there. My Model 12 parts catalog does not give the thread size. Contact Wright's they can tell you, do a google search for their website.

Dr.longshot

3. centex

centex TS Member

This is Stu Wrights answer.

Jim, That is not a standard size screw. It measures between a 4 and a #5 and is a 48 TPI. You can use a 4x48 to clean out the threads but it will take a .116X48 to tap the hole. If you have a broken screw in the hole get a Left Hand Drill and put your drill on LH and the broken piece will unthread in time.
    Stu

Hope this helps someone. Now to try to find a .116x48 tap. Anyone want to give odds?
    Jim Harris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

legendary trap shooters tha used a winchester model12