1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 12 Y Thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnR, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Added a nice Y Model 12 to the collection the other day. Comparing it to my other earlier Model 12's I can see where Winchester did take some shortcuts with them however still seems like a pretty nice gun.

What has been your experiences with the Y models, anything to look out for? This one has seen little use and is still pretty tight, got it out the other day and it smokes targets just like the others.

JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have and had several of both. nothing wrong with a Y model 12 at all. I sold one for 1200 not long ago so someone must think they are ok

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Nicer wood and higher impact. What's not to like!!

4. FIB

FIB Member

What "shortcuts" did Winchester make on the Y model vs the regular M12?

5. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I was told by a 40 year Winchester employee that the "Y" models were better guns because the cast steel is harder and more durable than the milled steel of the pre 1964 guns. He also told me that the Super X Model 1 was the best gun Winchester ever made. He still shoots a Super X to this day and at about 80 years old he ran a few more than 800 straight 16 yard targets with his Super X Model 1. Many of you Winchester fans may know him. Willis Corbet is his name.

Hit 'em hard,

John

6. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I was told by a 40 year Winchester employee that the "Y" models were better guns because the cast steel is harder and more durable than the milled steel of the pre 1964 guns. He also told me that the Super X Model 1 was the best gun Winchester ever made. He still shoots a Super X to this day and at about 80 years old he ran a few more than 800 straight 16 yard targets with his Super X Model 1. Many of you Winchester fans may know him. Willis Corbet is his name.

Hit 'em hard,

John

7. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

John R, that is a beautiful Model 12. I was told by a 40 year Winchester employee that the "Y" models were better guns because the cast steel is harder and more durable than the milled steel of the pre 1964 guns. He also told me that the Super X Model 1 was the best gun Winchester ever made. He still shoots a Super X 1 to this day and at about 80 years old he ran a few more than 800 straight 16 yard targets with his Super X Model 1. Many of you Winchester fans may know him. Willis Corbet is his name.

Hit 'em hard,

John

8. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

John R, that is a beautiful Model 12. I was told by a 40 year Winchester employee that the "Y" models were better guns because the cast steel is harder and more durable than the milled steel of the pre 1964 guns. He also told me that the Super X Model 1 was the best gun Winchester ever made. He still shoots a Super X 1 to this day and at about 80 years old he ran a few more than 800 straight 16 yard targets with his Super X Model 1. Many of you Winchester fans may know him. Willis Corbet is his name.

Hit 'em hard,

John

9. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

John R, that is a beautiful Model 12. I was told by a 40 year Winchester employee that the "Y" models were better guns because the cast steel is harder and more durable than the milled steel of the pre 1964 guns. He also told me that the Super X Model 1 was the best gun Winchester ever made. He still shoots a Super X 1 to this day and at about 80 years old he ran a few more than 800 straight 16-yard targets with his Super X Model 1. Many of you Winchester fans may know him. Willis Corbet is his name.

Hit 'em hard,

John

10. rd

rd TS Member

Flinch?

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

John:
    I have had both model 12's in trap grade, a pre 64, and a Y model. Years ago, a friend of mine who was a well respected gunsmith, who was a model 12 man who was a trapshooter told me that in his opinion the Y model was a better gun than the pre 64.

I looked at him with a raised eye brow and said you must be kidding? He than spent the next 15 minutes breaking down a pre 64 and a Y model showing me the differences. Only problem is, a pre 64 will always get more dollars when sold compared to a Y model.

You have a real nice Y model 12. Either way, the Model 12's were fantastic guns especially for trapshooting.
    Steve Balistreri

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I wish Winchester would have changed to something like Model 13 for the Y model to save the confusion. To me they are of zero interest.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I happen to have and have shot more than my fair share of Model 12's over the years ... There is nothing wrong with a Y Model, but of all the Model 12's I have owned I only kept the pre 64's because they are machined and not cast and the parts are not stamped and then fit to the gun ... The internals on them could hardly be told apart if laid on a table in front of you but there is a difference ... The pre 64's would also repeat fire if you hold the trigger while pumping it and the Y Models won't due to Federal Regs that came into effect prior to and when they were being built ... The Y Models do have nicer wood on them but that don't make them shoot any better ... There is no such thing as a bad Model 12, just some better than others ... You have a really nice gun there, shoot it and enjoy it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Y series was an attempt to continue manufacturing the M-12
    at less cost. Cast receiver rather than forged. Many of the small
    parts are also castings rather than forgings. It's still a shooter
    but not a real Model 12 for those of us that appreciate what went
    into the pre-64's.

15. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

WPT, I have to take issue with your assertion that "Y" models would not repeat fire if the trigger was held back. All I ever had or shot would. When Browning got the patent they changed the trigger to what you have described, but they were not designated "Y" models.

As far as quality differences, the "Y"s were superior as long as they were properly fitted which became more of a problem as old gunsmiths with M12 experience retired.

buz

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have owned 3 "Y" Models and none of them would repeat fire, if yours does you have a special gun or its been worked on ... Don't take issue to something that don't really matter ... I sold all of the "Y" Models I ever owned and kept the pre 64's, got a safe full of them ... If you think a "Y" Model is a better gun, thats all that matters because you paid for it ... I like the older ones for my own personal reasons and because they are better guns and I paid for them, so its subjective at best and thats my opinion just like your saying the "Y" Model is a better gun is your opinion ... Shoot it and enjoy it, nice gun ... I like and prefer the Monte Carlo stocks also, but that's probably another thread ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

If your looking for an arguement look up Big Don ...

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have owned 3 "Y" Models and none of them would repeat fire, if yours does you have a special gun or its been worked on ... Don't take issue to something that don't really matter ... I sold all of the "Y" Models I ever owned and kept the pre 64's, got a safe full of them ... If you think a "Y" Model is a better gun, thats all that matters because you paid for it ... I like the older ones for my own personal reasons and because they are better guns and I paid for them, so its subjective at best and thats my opinion just like your saying the "Y" Model is a better gun is your opinion ... Shoot it and enjoy it, nice gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

If your looking for an arguement look up Big Don ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.