1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 12 value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have a chance to buy a model 12 that was purchased new in or around 1970.It has roughly 100 rds thru it and looks brand new.The owner's wife gave it to him as a gift and he never got into trap shooting so it has set in the original box for 40 years.I don't know but I think it is a Y model.What is it worth?

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Joe it,s worth what your willing to pay if you like it . To me If it,s a Y model no more then $1,000.00 and it would need to be as new with box and tags .

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I understand some Y-Models were made with machined steel receivers. How can you tell the difference?

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mine has none of the above. No rib pins but a screw at the top of the rib holding it on. The receiver is a dark rich blue and strongly attracts a magnet!!

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The screw in the top of the rib in front of the front sight signifies it is a Y model 12 unless Bbl has been changed.

A new in the box even if is is a Y model will bring $1250-1500 even if shot only 100 times.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I love the "original" M-12 traps but I won't hold my nose at the sight of a Y model.
    Even though it is a Y model they sure are not making them anymore and I would try to buy it if it was fairly reasonable.
    I cannot imagine how much one would cost if Winchester started making Y models today.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think those opinions are way over inflated as to price

this gun is used? but like new condition? y model? assuming 30 inch full and a target gun- range is 500-750

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I agree. It is no collectors item.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If the serial number is before 2,000,000 and has a Y it still is pre 64. Jeff

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

There's the Blue Book and there's the real world. Forget the Blue Book nonsense. You will search long and hard before you see a ANIB Y model in the three-figure range. A collector item? Most people owning one would like to think. If you like it and it works well, consider it a shooter. If you can get it for less than $1000, by all means. Otherwise, get it over with and offer $1000-1250 and don't worry about it again.

11. eightbore

Jeff is right. Some Model 12s from the pre cast receiver period are stamped with the Y to comply with the "act". They will have serial numbers under 2 million. Most of these are Super Pigeons, I think.

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am still waiting to see what a near mint mod 12 before Y mod is worth---I am interested in a mint mod 12 pre Y---send pm---thanks---sjb---

13. eightbore

$300 to $12,750, depending on variation and gauge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester model 12 trap value

winchester model 12 trap variations and values

winchester model 12 value