1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 12 v. Remington 31 TC?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience shooting a Model 12 and a 31 TC and able to compare the two?

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i have shot both. to me, the model 12 trap grade is the best feeling trap gun i have ever shot. i have had a few of them, and only one i was able to shoot well with. regarding the 31 tc, i feel it is an easier gun to shoot for most shooters, the chokes in the barrels are great. the weak point about the 31 was the action bar. great pumping gun, slick, short stroke. personally, if you can find a model 12 that shoots were you look, buy it. it's like who do you like better, chevy or ford??? if vic reinders were alive he'd say purchase the 31. here's a bit of history. the reason vic reinders purchased a rem 31 tc was due to he was friends with the remington rep, harry dunham. vic was at the milwaukee gun club and harry sold him the gun to him for $50.00. vic said in the wisconsin area, there were more 31's used in trap then model 12's. he said the remington pro was well liked, and he also help cashier gun club shoots and help shooters out with parts. on the other hand vic said the winchester pro was not well liked, did not help out at shoots, so people purchased more 31's due to the rep.
    steve balistreri

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

My experience is a little different than Steve's, I currently own both, both are stocked the same, and I can say without a doubt the Remington 31TC hands down is the clear cut winner! ease of operation, that "ball bearing feeling" action, in fact, the 31 TC is much smoother in operation than any of my Moder 12"s, if you have ever shot doubles with both, stock for stock, no modifications what so ever, there is NO contest! incinerate em!

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

In my opinion the Mod. 12 is a heavier built gun.

The breech bolt is heavier as is the firing pin.

The Mod. 12 take-down assy. fits stronger to the receiver with the mag. tube.

However, the 31 is smooth as silk with those double action bars.

Take both apart side by side, then you be the judge.

Both fine shotguns.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

All the Model 31s I have seen have a single action bar but I have never seen one break or consider it a weakness. The 870 introduced to replace the 31 has double action bars.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

In the 1961 Champion of Champions event at the Grand, George Snellenberger was shooting a Model 12, and Dan Orlich was shooting a Model 31. After smoking 500 straight targets, they were declared co-champions. Both the 12, and 31 are great guns. Wayne

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a 31 freak but they will break action bars with heavy loads. I have repaired or replaced two. They only have one bar. Yes they are smooth but the best thing they have is the best choke I ever shot. The model 12 is a great gun but the 31 barrel is far superior. Card shooters pay big bucks for the barrels. I am still looking for this one that I sold
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

the 31 barrels are smoke poles!!!
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 12 winchester vs remington model 31

remington 31