1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model-12 Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I've been looking thur the books I have and trying to figure out this...in 1939 the words "MODEL-12-TRAP" were stamped on the bottom of the receiver extension.....did this indicate a Trap gun or a "trap grade" gun? Where was the "pigeon" located on the gun if "MODEL-12-TRAP" was stamped there? Last question..I recently saw a M-12 Super Speed 3 inch with a solid rib at a gun show, is this a collectable combination? Thanks, WC

2. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The ones marked Model 12 Trap lengthwise on the extension prewar are Trap Grade guns, available in other special order configurations. Standard Trap Grade guns were similarly marked. Prewar Pigeon Grades did not have pigeons engraved on the extension. Prewar Pigeon Grades normally included a reversed #5 engraving pattern. Unengraved prewar Pigeons would be hard to identify, but they were available. I assume they look exactly like Trap Grade guns, even down to the checkering pattern. I have both Pigeon and Trap Grade prewar Model 12s and the wood and checkering seems to be identical. I think the transition to the postwar type Pigeon Grade may have been shortly before the war, not sure.

3. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.