1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 12 - Need help/advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsfdds04, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsfdds04

rsfdds04 TS Member

Hello, I am new to this forum and am seeking advice. I know that the model 12 is a popular trap gun, and I am hoping someone here may be able to help me out. I was fortunate enough to have a friend give me a 1919 winchester model 12. It had been in his attic for ~30 years. There was a lot of gunk/grim in the action so I stripped it all down and cleaned it. The problem occured on reassembly. I placed the ejector spring back in the side of the reciever before the bolt. The bolt dropped in, and with very little pressure became jammed in the rear of the reciever. After about an hour and a half I gave up, mostly b/c I did not want to cause any damage to the gun. Has anyone experienced this same problem, and is there a remedy? How would I find a good gunsmith to assist me that would have experience with these old guns? I live in Virginia. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a great gun. Thanks in advance.

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

rsfdds04,

Can you provide photographs?

LA in MA

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Assume you have done this before???

A little tricky to put in if you never have done it.

Lots of info. on the internet and this site. Do a search.

Regards....Gerald

4. 333t

333t Member

I learned with my model 12's that you put the bolt in first, run it forward and then insert the ejector (with spring) from the rear of the bolt. I don't know of any other way to do this. In your case, I would guess that the ejector came out its slot and has jammed under or beside the bolt. You just have to work and wiggle the bolt until it comes free. Don't use a lot of pressure, a small screwdriver will help to establish a little play. It will come loose eventually.

Phil

5. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If it were mine I would put a 2X4 on a solid floor, lay a towel over it and starting out slow, slam the front of the receiver down on it using your own judgment on how hard to do it. It would take a lot to hurt the receiver as they are hardened steel.

Their is no way to get at the back of the bolt and if you have already tried to get around the actuator arm that is keeping it in, sometimes it just takes a little force. I am sure some will disagree..........But that is how I would get it out if it were mine.

CM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.